Weightage of each subject in CEM exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ISE -DIY

Weightage of each subject in CEM exam

Post by ISE -DIY »

What is the percentage of each topics in CEM exam? I am aware of NVR which is 20%, what is the percentage of NV, comprehension/English and maths?
Please someone let me know. Thank you in advance
ISE-DIY
patricia

Re: Weightage of each subject in CEM exam

Post by patricia »

Verbal Reasoning 50%
Numerical Reasoning 30%
Non Verbal Reasoning 20%
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Thank you Patricia, you are always helpful.
ISE-DIY
ISE -DIY

Post by ISE -DIY »

Hi Patricia,

Please let me, how many questions in each section and allocation of time for each?

Regards,
DIYISE
patricia

Post by patricia »

ISE -DIY wrote: Please let me, how many questions in each section and allocation of time for each?
DIYISE
How long is a piece of string????

No one knows how many questions for each section or the timing. Based on other areas of the country it will change each year.

One year it may be 20 minutes for a comprehension with 25 questions another year it may be 15 minutes with 18 questions.

Patrcia
KenR

Post by KenR »

Verbal Reasoning 50%
Numerical Reasoning 30%
Non Verbal Reasoning 20
Interesting, my personal view is that by allocating 50% of the marks to verbal they are probably discriminating in favour of parents and children where English is the first language (and against immigrants where English is not the first language). This would also apply to a mathematical genius who could also miss out.

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to raise a formal case for Human Rights discrimination with the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Another example where Mathematical, Logic and scientific skills seem to be continually degraded and undervalued in this country.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

KenR wrote: Interesting, my personal view is that by allocating 50% of the marks to verbal they are probably discriminating in favour of parents and children where English is the first language (and against immigrants where English is not the first language). This would also apply to a mathematical genius who could also miss out.

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to raise a formal case for Human Rights discrimination with the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
Same thing occurred to me. I do think the English/VR element is disproportionately more difficult than the Maths element, especially when you consider that 25% of the overall marks are assigned to synonym/antonym questions using extremely difficult words out of context.
Marylou
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

But then, in Warwickshire, this year they changed the marking from an even third split NVR/VR/Maths to 50% VR and the totals for NVR and Maths added and averaged so a 50% total overall. This was to counter the fact that NVR is highly correlated with mathematical ability and, takes out language bias - therefore, i suppose giving a more equal weighting to the "numerical" and "verbal" aspects.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

kenyancowgirl wrote:50% VR and the totals for NVR and Maths added and averaged so a 50% total overall
My money is on this being the case for Berkshire test this year :)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I think it's correct. After all, you use powers of comprehension, grammar, punctuation, spelling etc in everyday life. There is also of course a maths element in VR, particularly with the codes questions. VR also incorporates logical thought processes. A solid grasp of all things English is also vital for passing exams in all other subjects, CV's and later, in the workplace. I think it is more important than maths in an everyday situation. As for being biased against those with English as a second language, the idea of a grammar school is that it takes "the best" and I don't believe there should never be a political or social angle. It's sad, but in a generation I guess things will be on a level playing field when the language aspect sorts itself out. For now though, they can only base intake on who performs the best in the test on the day. Just my two penny worth.