croydon area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
maa

croydon area

Post by maa »

Hi!
My son is preparing for 11 plus and he is in year 5. We live in south croydon area. I am looking for a friend for him in the nearby area with whom he can study for 11 plus at times. If anyone interested please do message me.

Thanks.
victorypoint

Re: croydon area

Post by victorypoint »

Why do you need someone to study with DC? Is there no other child in your DC school studing for 11+ exam?

I guess your DC is not attending 11+ class..?

????
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Victorypoint many people self-tutor their children at home - 11+ classes can be prohibitively expensive and some parents can work really effectively with their children. Good luck maa with your search for a companion to work with your son. It sounds like a great idea.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Self tutoring works fine if you know the stuff but companion study doesn't work for 11 plus. Parents are usually secretive about what they are teaching, don't disclose where my dc is in progress bar and very competitive that my dc is better than yours. Companion study may also shatter the confidence of the weaker child.

Not sure what your ££ expectations are by "11+ classes can be prohibitively expensive". GS provide free education which could other worth privately in excess of 100K (£15-20K x 6 years). You may spend 5K in books, tuition, fuel... whatever which isn't a bad risk to be taken in terms of value for money as it may also help in the SAT grades.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

We did diy mostly - bought variety of books/practice papers - which costed us under £300.

For a short period when DC went to a local tutor (good reputation, long waiting list) costed under £25 pw. Another very famous Kingston tutor was said to be charging £30 pw. Know of another one, charging £15 per lesson - mostly one lesson pw, but more than once before the exams.

It does cost; but not 'prohibitively' high, though I understand that for some it may still pose difficulties, but for most, it means sacrificing on some non-essentials - cigarette or beer or entertainment or holidays comes to mind. Know of families who complain of 11plus tutors cost, but gladly spend over hundreds a week on cinema, dining out and drinks. I think it is matter of setting priorities right.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Here is an example of what I would call prohibitively expensive, taken from a London tutor's website:

"Course fees for the 11+ courses are charged at £20 an hour so each two hour session is £40. Fees are paid termly and in advance. However, if you do all 4 subjects as the majority of children do then there is a 10% discount on each course so you would pay £72 a week instead of £80 for all four subjects. The four subjects can be taken in one day on a weekend or split over 2 days."

We, like many, couldn't have afforded private school so didn't see tutoring for grammar school as a cost-effective alternative. And we certainly spend very little, if anything, on cinema, eating out, or entertainment! But I fully agree it is a matter of setting priorities right. We spent £25 per week on tutoring during year 5, an amount which was often hard to find but I felt was worthwhile. I also bought some practice books and did some supplementary home tutoring near to the exam date.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Peridot, I think we are on the same wave length.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now