11 Plus 2008 format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bad Dad

11 Plus 2008 format

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi, my son is 9 years old and will be going into Year 5 after the summer.

I am beginning to think about the grammar school system as a possible option. He would do the 11 plus in 2008.

I bought the IPS Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique book, and we have started working through the various standard question formats. (Only spending about 15 mins per week at this stage). The small amount of time I have spent working through these with my son has convinced me that (contrary to what the people who set the exams say) preparation on the question formats and exam strategy could make a big difference.

I was expecting the exam to be verbal reasoning only, but the other day I saw a post by Jeff that contained the following comments:

"I understand that the 11+ tests to be taken on 6 Oct 2007 are 2 verbal reasoning papers in standard format and a 30 minute essay (taken in the school). This is the last year Warks will be using this format - in 2008, they will be changed so that they will be more in line with Birmingham."

So it seems I was mistaken about the format. As far as I can tell, in Birmingham each individual school sets its own test, so I am not sure what we can expect from South Warwickshire in 2008.

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed any more light on the format of the assessment in Warwickshire for 2008 and give any advice on appropriate preparation material? The school I am interested in is Alcester Grammar.

Post by Guest »

Hi Bad Dad

Next year I am led to believe that there will be a verbal reasoning paper, a non-verbal reasoning paper and a maths paper, thats all I know at the moment. If you ring the admissions people they are usually very helpful.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I rang the admissions people today, and they said the format for South Warwickshire will not change again in 2008. It will verbal reasoning only. There will be 2 papers, sat on the same day. Each will be 50 minutes with 80 questions, standard format (not multiple choice). The papers will be set by NFER. There will also be a 30 min essay.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

What will the format be for Rugby in 2008?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi RugbyMum,

Rugby will be the same I imagine. The LEA run both East & South Warwickshire in the same manner, using the same papers on the same days!

It is possible, but very unlikely, that they could change their minds nearer the time. I should think that they've bought at least 2 years service from NFER and would not be keen to make changes so soon.

Going by what has happened this year, I don't think you can say it's set in stone until around May, but going with Nfer VR x 2 plus essay is probably as good a bet as any.

Having said that, if your child enjoys NVR (mine love it!) it certainly can't hurt to do a little, and extra maths & English practice is always useful. If only there were 34 hours in a day....

Post by Guest »

Thanks - its a shame cos my son excels at Maths, for him this combination of papers is not a good one :?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Guest - it's not all bad. VR papers do include a lot of maths & logical & mathmatical sequencing. Actually only a few of the question types are vocabulary based & you'll find that most children find these the hardest. Just keep up with reading together, explaining any new words. Look at compound word lists, & other resources found on this forum. And, of course, lots & lots of practice of those dreaded 3 letter word insertion questions.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

That guest was me (couldn't find the login! :oops: ) - where would I find the resources you mentioned (I am still finding my way round this website!).

Suggestions for good games that I can play with my son to improve his vocabulary and spelling (this is definitely his weak point :roll: ) would be much appreciated :D He reads lots already - working his way through Antony Horowitz books at the moment.

Post by Guest »

Let's call Patricia for a link or two. PATRICIA, CAN YOU HELP??
patricia

Post by patricia »

To get you started, click on the homepage [top of the forum]

See Free download section.

For my list of Vocabulary

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

For my compound word games

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/11 ... tricia.pdf

For 11 plusexams list of compound words

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/pdf/el ... -words.pdf

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now