Extenuating circumstances etc.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ofsoundmind

Extenuating circumstances etc.

Post by ofsoundmind »

Hi Sally-Anne / Etienne,
Is it advisable to write a full explanation of our extenuating circumstances in the initial appeal form? It's quite a long! Or could I just say there were problems and give a full explanation at the actual appeal?
Many thanks,
osm
Etienne

Re: Extenuating Circumstances

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back, osm - you obviously love appeals! :)

Where extenuating circumstances are concerned, ideally you would just attach the evidence, and let it speak for itself.

It may depend on how significant the circumstances are, and whether there is evidence available.

Can you send a bit more detail to the Appeals Box?
Etienne
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thank you Etienne. I've posted the details to the appeals box.
osm
p.s. I really, really, really, don't want to do this again, but if you don't try, you'll always be wondering!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi osm

I'm assuming there's no evidence, so you need to strike a chord with the panel at a human, emotional level - and I think this sort of explanation is more likely to elicit empathy at the hearing than it would in cold print.

For the written submission, therefore, I'd just mention very briefly that there was an incident at the time of the test which you'd like to bring to the panel's attention at the hearing. (No more than that!)

At the hearing, I suggest you go through the main paragraph you sent me, but omit the first two sentences because points that apply to everyone are unlikely to count for anything.

I'd also omit the word "major" at the beginning, because it will have more impact if the panel are left to deduce this for themselves from what follows.

The rest of the paragraph is fine, but shouldn't be any longer.

At the end of it, move quickly on to "We would ask the panel to take this incident into account, but our focus is above all on the academic evidence which we hope you will find persuasive."
Etienne
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks Etienne.
I have checked with the school and it has all been noted in the invigilators log, will that help?
osm
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Whoever represents the school at the hearing is unlikely to know anything about this, unless forewarned.

• I would therefore suggest adjusting your written submission so that it reads "There was an incident during the 11+ test (confirmed in the invigilator's log), which I'd like to discuss with the panel at the hearing."

• Secondly, see if you can get hold of a copy:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so that you can add it to your appeal papers either now or as late evidence.

It could certainly prove that there was an incident, if not what the impact was.
Etienne
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks Etienne.
ofsoundmind

Re: Extenuating circumstances

Post by ofsoundmind »

I tried to get hold of a copy of the log but I was refused. However, I have been told that it will be available at the appeal.
Thanks again
osm
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I see no reason why they can't give you a copy to help you prepare for the appeal - provided that any names other than your son's are blotted out.
If you wanted to, I think you could insist under the Data Protection Act on a copy of any entry relating to your son.

Whether it matters rather depends on what it says - but if you feel at the hearing that you've been disadvantaged, it's important to ask the clerk to note that the school is introducing evidence that you've not had time to consider!
Etienne
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Thanks Etienne,
I was just glad it would be available at the appeal, as it will back up my evidence. The school did check the log and the incident was recorded. I hope I'm not being too naïve!
osm