Test Papers Question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jpower

Test Papers Question

Post by jpower »

Hi just joined this forum, have read information from here before and seems like a helpful guide through the 11+ minefield.

So my Son sits 11+ in Sept, he has been doing the Bond online practices, so 4 areas (although they added to CEM advanced sections recently), broken into topics with 10 questions each. So the aim was he would cover all the different areas. He has gone through all these, definitely areas he needs some help.

I was trying to find test papers so he could start practising in a more real'ish format but the only thing I can find is http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/T ... apers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, others are all in one area, so all Maths, or all Verbal, was wondering if there was any mixed papers I could purchase?

Also it was not obvious from the bucks website that they also may get questions in the Cloze format, is there any specific material that could help here?

And finally wow this is such hard parenting work :D

Any help is most appreciated.
MamaBear

Re: Test Papers Question

Post by MamaBear »

Hi, I found the CGP CEM papers very useful for ds1 who passed the 11 plus last year and now I am using it for ds2 who will be doing the Bucks exam this year.
Have you looked at the practice paper from the Bexley website, thats good for tight timings.

Good luck!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Hi jpower

The CGP are useful but not perfect, they use types of questions that would not come up in the Bucks test for example cloze where letters are missing. In addition they do not use a separate multiple answer sheet, which is a technique in itself.

Bucks did use cloze last year. I would recommend making up your own using novels and newspapers.

Would also recommend cutting and pasting a few tests so your child gets used to changing quickly from one discipline to another eg …

Comprehension
Maths
Vocabulary
NVR
Cloze

Keep mixing up the order.

Good Luck with your preparation.

Patricia
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

patricia wrote:Hi jpower

The CGP are useful but not perfect, they use types of questions that would not come up in the Bucks test for example cloze where letters are missing. In addition they do not use a separate multiple answer sheet, which is a technique in itself.

Bucks did use cloze last year. I would recommend making up your own using novels and newspapers.

Would also recommend cutting and pasting a few tests so your child gets used to changing quickly from one discipline to another eg …

Comprehension
Maths
Vocabulary
NVR
Cloze

Keep mixing up the order.

Good Luck with your preparation.

Patricia
Patricia - do we know for a fact that the missing letter Cloze don't come up in Bucks? My DD hates these (her spelling is not great) so it would be great if this is true!!
If making up your own cloze tests do you give a choice of words for them to select from? How many would you suggest. Should it be a selection per missing word - or a word bank for selection. How does this work for electronic marking? Also - for comprehension - are these marked electronically too - so must be a choice of answers to pick from?

As always - thanks for your help!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... fer-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presumably you've seen the Familiarisation test?
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I have seen a CEM style test where missing LETTERS not words are required and it does lend itself to multiple choice. Also the pack I have does have a separate answer sheet. Maybe they are expanding the range.

Eg Djoser's step pyramid was one of the f _ _ _t of these tombs.

On the answer sheet it says f_ _ _ t
s r y
d k s
i o e

there is a little box by the letters and you strike through the box, I hope I am making sense! So you would mark the i in the first column, the r in the second and the s in the third to complete the answer.

Hoping it does not come up this year but I wouldnt rule it out. Good for spelling practice too!
Last edited by MamaBear on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Lordy lordy they must have some real sadists devising these question/ answer sheets. Still I guess there will be a generation of kids that are very adept at filling in tax return sheets, passport forms, planning applications....etc etc :lol:
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

in my previous post the column reads downwards.
Last edited by MamaBear on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

MamaBear wrote:in my previous the column reads downwards.
I did work that out eventually :oops: .although for a second it reminded me of a very humiliating experience at a butlins style holiday camp about 20 years ago when I played my first (and last) ever game of big style bingo and could not keep up with the caller, until a blue rinsed old dear put me right and left dh laughing his head off about it for...Well ever really..He still brings it up!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I know what you mean southbucks, I've had my fair share of those moments too.