OOC places how likely?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MamaBear

OOC places how likely?

Post by MamaBear »

Hi

My friend's son will sit the Bucks exam this Sept from Oxford, she lives on the outskirts so the commute will be 15 mins even at rush hours. He will aim for a place at the John Hampden or Royal Grammar School

My question is how likely is it that he will get a place if he scores the magic 121. Did many OOC children this year score places.

She doesn't want to move house, and her son is super bright, bordering on genius.
kittymum

Re: OOC places how likely?

Post by kittymum »

Hi

The allocation profiles are here:http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1749713 ... -March.pdf

I have to say I think she may be a little optimistic with the 15 mins - I live near Marlow and can't do JHGS in 15 mins and RGS is at least 30.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If she is near Oxford then The Floyd in Aylesbury might be a more realistic choice - there is a good bus service along the A418.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This year JHGS was all offered I think, so they would have got in. 15 mins from Oxford though??
scary mum
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

She timed it- she left the house at 7.40 and got to JHGS at 8.10, yes you are right RGS is further away and she prefers the JHGS. Ayelsbury is a killer journey because of the A roads, from Oxford to High Wycombe its simply straight down the motorway.

I was just wondering whether its even worth applying. Sometimes you hear of children going to the Bucks grammar school from as far as Harrow!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I know teachers who travel from Oxford to Aylesbury ... very rarely a problem.

Wycombe is a nightmare and is often gridlocked. She must have picked the one day it was OK! No-one local would consider that journey on a regular basis ...
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

really that is interesting, I must let her know that. Thanks guest55.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

MamaBear wrote:She timed it- she left the house at 7.40 and got to JHGS at 8.10, yes you are right RGS is further away and she prefers the JHGS. Ayelsbury is a killer journey because of the A roads, from Oxford to High Wycombe its simply straight down the motorway.

I was just wondering whether its even worth applying. Sometimes you hear of children going to the Bucks grammar school from as far as Harrow!
The Harrow kids are travelling straight up the Met Line. It's a 40 minute journey, but by Tube, and generally very reliable.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

sorry sorry I meant 30 mins not 15! And thanks for the advice given.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I must say we avoid the wycombe/motorway route version to get to Oxford, preferring the A roads if we are travelling during rush hour. Chicken sh*t pass through stokenchurch is a notorious fog holder, and has terrible accidents and delays and handy cross roundabout is gridlocked, the A roads always seem fine though. Aylesbury boys grammar has children from Tetsworth, Thame and Watlington that we know of. John hampden has a very enticing extension happening here and now, so may not be all offered next year? Rgs is a no chance I am afraid.

If he is super duper genius maybe see what Magdalen school can offer scholarship wise, isn't that the boys equivalent of Headingley, ie. An extremely good indie?? I only know of Headingley so cannot really advise, just worth a look too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now