Habs Boys at 13

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

animal

Habs Boys at 13

Post by animal »

Can anyone offer any advice regarding the benefits of putting boys into Habs at 13 rather than 11? I have a daughter in Y7 at Habs Girls, and thought my son would try for 11 entry too. His prep school headmaster is saying put him in at 13 (obviously a financial incentive to the prep school in offering this advice) and suggesting that he'd be ahead of his peers at that time. I wonder if there is some truth in this due to the levelling year that has to happen when children are coming from lots of different schools.

Anyone done this, or know what the stats are like for 13 entry? Does the school actively discourage 13 entry?

Thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: Habs Boys at 13

Post by Daogroupie »

So your prep Head thinks your son will learn more in Y7 and Y8 at his prep than he will learn in Y7 and Y8 at Habs? Think about his peer group in those two years at Habs compared to his peer group at his prep. Is your prep selective? The numbers applying for Habs boys goes up every year and so they can choose the boys with the very highest academic ability and they would be his classmates for those two years rather than his current prep school friends. I think that it is unlikely that your ds would go in at Y9 ahead of those boys who have just spent two years at Habs. I know of a boy who was at a feeder prep to St Albans and was encouraged to wait and enter Y9 by his prep school. He regrets that now as everything is established like the school football team and he is unable to get a place. Friendships are solid after two years and he is finding it hard to break in.
animal

Post by animal »

Thanks daogroupie, yes I raised an eyebrow too. Completely take your point on friendship groups particularly. I wonder though what competition is like for those 25 places. Presumably all prep school boys since state schools will all transfer at 11, so are the odds better? DS is smart but quirky so I am definitely not counting any chickens whatever the entry point.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

But I know of state school boys who have not got in at 11 and have then gone and filled the vacated slots at the prep schools so they can have another go so there will be plenty of competition. The schools offering 13 plus are the only opportunity for another go which is normally something not available for 11 plus students. DG
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Have sent you a dm - animal
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Daogroupie wrote:But I know of state school boys who have not got in at 11 and have then gone and filled the vacated slots at the prep schools so they can have another go so there will be plenty of competition. The schools offering 13 plus are the only opportunity for another go which is normally something not available for 11 plus students. DG
I think this is the case. Also prep schools can get a bit "thin" in years 7 and 8 these days since most private schools lowered their intakes to 11 - HM may well be keen to keep up the numbers. :wink:
It is ultimately up to you - you may want to try for age 11 entry and if so then need to stand your ground with the head!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You have the opportunity to do both. Do 11 plus and then if you are not happy with your offers stay on and do 13 plus. I know of at least two local preps where a place at Habs or St Albans is virtually guaranteed. One parent told me that that his ds got offered 13 plus slots at St Albans and Habs boys without his parents ever seeing an 13 plus paper. The school did it all for them. That is what you are paying for after all. The Habs Head is on the Board of Governors at his prep school so the two are very close. I can see the days of 13 plus coming to an end as the secondary schools want to get on and get their students focused on their way of doing things. DG.
simon

Post by simon »

On the other hand, my son, now in year 13, says that the brightest boys are uniformly from the 13+ entry and Habs becomes way more competitive when they arrive. They are always the strongest at languages and classics. I don't think that they will get rid of it.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is very interesting. So do you think they do more language and classics at the prep schools than they do in Y7 and Y8 at Habs. I know boys do take Greek and Latin at GCSE, are they mostly the Y9 entry? DG
animal

Post by animal »

At DS' prep school, it's only French and Latin, which if he joined Habs at 13+ may exclude the option of pursuing Spanish or German because the 11+ boys would already have studied those in Y7 and 8. That said, my DD from the same prep school and currently at Habs Girls in Y7 has found herself miles ahead in both French and Latin.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now