Essex Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Essex Boys!

Post by GillyGillyOxenPepper »

Where are all the posts from mums of boys in Essex - why is it the majority of postings are from mums of girls? Are the boys' mums just too shy, or maybe just too stressed...?

I have a son sitting the 11+ on the 24th and hoping to go to CRGS (Colchester Grammar) - is there anyone else like me? How are the boys getting on? Mine is very laid back, for no particularly good reason - its just me doing the worrying!
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

(I haven't got a son in Essex.
But I am wondering if we could swap names, seeing as your son is laid back and you are worrying.

I love your name.

Good Luck for the exams.)
bwinkie

Re: Essex Boys!

Post by bwinkie »

[quote="GillyGillyOxenPepper"]Where are all the posts from mums of boys in Essex - why is it the majority of postings are from mums of girls? quote]
I had been wondering the same :lol:

My son is hoping to go to SHSB and is going up and down with his confidence. Today on an up because he got a higher score in a test Maths paper than his friend who has always been above him in SATS.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Hi 'Laid Back Son, Worried Mum' - I will find out how to swap names - where are you from?

Thanks for liking my name - its from a 1960s? song and is my family nick-name - well the Gilly bit - my uncle gave it to me when I was tiny and it stuck.

Why do you think your son is laid back? Is is just a boy thing?

Post by Guest »

Hi, Bwinkie,

What maths papers are you practising with? Also, how does your son do with English - this is my son's weak spot.

Nice to meet you.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Sorry, Bwinkie, the last post was from me but I forgot to put my name in.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

GillyGillyOxenPepper wrote:Hi 'Laid Back Son, Worried Mum' - I will find out how to swap names - where are you from?

Thanks for liking my name - its from a 1960s? song and is my family nick-name - well the Gilly bit - my uncle gave it to me when I was tiny and it stuck.

Why do you think your son is laid back? Is is just a boy thing?
Hi, Gi11yGi11yOxenPepper,

My son is already in Yr 7 in a grammar school, although some think I live in REHAB..

I do know that 60s song..that's how old I am and probably why I love your name.
Why do you think your son is laid back?
boy thing.
how does your son do with English - this is my son's weak spot.
boy thing.

doing sums in head. Boy thing.
rushing work. Boy thing.
Horrible handwriting. Boy thing.

The list goes on but we do love him.
Honest.

And when you least expect it, he wi11 surprise you.
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

English is my son's weakest subject too.

At the school they seem to be using past CSSE and NferNelson papers.

We've agreed now that he will do any papers the school sets. Then he and I will sit down as often as I can persuade him and pick out his weak points on Maths and VR. Hopefully that way he will improve without the "Oh no, not another paper!" English we will read through and work out the answers together.

Then it is down to him on the day and hopefully he won't make too many careless mistakes.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Hi, Bwinkie

My son's school is pretty much doing the same thing with the papers. I bought some IPS books a couple of weeks ago (VR and Maths) which look very good but up until now only 1 VR has been done and no maths!

Halloween/Bonfire night/Rugby matches/guitar all seem to get in the way. I am hoping that tomorrow night we can do something.

As far as English goes - I despair. He has little interest in reading and this is definitely his weakest subject. Like you I have gone through the CSSE past papers with him - I can't see anything else I can do at this stage.

What made you pick SHSB? Is it just that you are nearby? A friend of mine has a son in year 10 and she is very pleased with the school. I understand the new head is very well regarded.
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

I liked both SHSB & WHSB, but my gut instinct was Southend would be better for my son. However, the final descision was his and he put Southend first too! So Mum's do get some things right occasionally :lol:

Also we have a teacher who lives opposite who has been happy to answer any questions about the School.

I too have heard good reports about the new head from various sources.