Vocabulary Question

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Vocabulary Question

Post by berks_mum »

Are there any levels/classification/grouping/age/key stage mapping for vocabulary ?

Yesterday we encountered a word clue for 'impeachment' . Is it normal for a 10year old to know this word ?
southbucks3

Re: Vocabulary Question

Post by southbucks3 »

No...it really out is not, unless they watched a lot of "yes priminister" or "Alan Bstard" on DVD with mum and dad!

I think we are all playing guessing games with the vocab really, probably best just to keep them reading rather than drilling them. Sonasonas list gives us an idea of the levels on previous cem papers all over the country, there were deffo some horrors in bucks. I distinctly remember a discussion about "innocuous" I mean how many 20 year olds know that, let alone 10 year olds. All a bit silly and I personally think the very hard words are included just to rattle them, which is a very cruel way of testing young children imo. The best policy is to help them not be confused or daunted by the trickiest words and quickly move along.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

One one hand CEM says the tests are based on national curriculum, do not need tutoring and on the other hand they include words that are unlikely to be taught in the KS2 national curriculum ?

Like spellings, does the national curriculum define a word list that all children should know by KS2 ?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

This is the link to the national literacy ks2 spelling objectives guide book or "spelling bank" automatic download.
The download is long as it covers all years.
I don't know if this has been superseded, as nls is no more?
Your primary school should be roughly covering all of this?

My ds3's spellings have got appalling of late...don't know why?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7204,d.ZGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not think there is a list of words that should be recognised...it would be huge!
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Imagine if there was a list of words for the 11plus that would make it so easy!
The hardest thing is not knowing what words will come up and all you can do is hope that your child is well read.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-of-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More word lists and spellings in the new curriculum.
mystery

Post by mystery »

berks_mum wrote:One one hand CEM says the tests are based on national curriculum, do not need tutoring and on the other hand they include words that are unlikely to be taught in the KS2 national curriculum ?

Like spellings, does the national curriculum define a word list that all children should know by KS2 ?
The new national curriculum does not contain a list of words children should understand that an 11 plus test provider could then use as a bank for their vocabulary type questions. Gl assessment, through its various testing arms, probably has for certain words a rough idea of the percentage of 11 year olds who have certain words in their receptive vocabulary.

When loads of schools were going cem last year, it was the reported emphasis on vocabulary knowledge in the final result, and the apparent repetition of some of the words used, that made me feel very sceptical of some people's opinion that cem exams are a more reliable and fairer test of ability than gl. I didn't get it then, and I still don't.

Bucks was odd in just having vr, but they could have commissioned a more broad ranging test if they chose to.

I do not know how gl or cem could select vocabulary which would be the preserve of the rather erudite child and assume this is an ability measure rather than knowledge a child has gained due to being in fortunate circumstances of some sort.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

berks_mum wrote:Are there any levels/classification/grouping/age/key stage mapping for vocabulary ?

Yesterday we encountered a word clue for 'impeachment' . Is it normal for a 10year old to know this word ?
Some of the words asked in 11 plus are which even uni students would not know. The mock exams providers also have some words that are too ambitious for the level required. I guess there is no clear list. You may choose to do 500 average or 2000 ambitious words depending on bandwidth and capability of child (and keep fingers crossed for the exam day).
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:
berks_mum wrote:I do not know how gl or cem could select vocabulary which would be the preserve of the rather erudite child and assume this is an ability measure rather than knowledge a child has gained due to being in fortunate circumstances of some sort.
Indeed, it would doubtless require some sort of cultural knowledge (the preserve of a few) and not this 'raw' ability that providers and commissioners keep going on about :roll:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

mystery wrote:
berks_mum wrote:One one hand CEM says the tests are based on national curriculum, do not need tutoring and on the other hand they include words that are unlikely to be taught in the KS2 national curriculum ?

The new national curriculum does not contain a list of words children should understand that an 11 plus test provider could then use as a bank for their vocabulary type questions. Gl assessment, through its various testing arms, probably has for certain words a rough idea of the percentage of 11 year olds who have certain words in their receptive vocabulary.

When loads of schools were going cem last year, it was the reported emphasis on vocabulary knowledge in the final result, and the apparent repetition of some of the words used, that made me feel very sceptical of some people's opinion that cem exams are a more reliable and fairer test of ability than gl. I didn't get it then, and I still don't.

Bucks was odd in just having vr, but they could have commissioned a more broad ranging test if they chose to.

I do not know how gl or cem could select vocabulary which would be the preserve of the rather erudite child and assume this is an ability measure rather than knowledge a child has gained due to being in fortunate circumstances of some sort.
I never understood why a test of vocabulary is a test of ability ? It seems to be a test of knowledge instead of ability to know. A word bank stuffed in a child's brain ?
I am now doubting my sanity over the decision to make DD prepare for GS. Is it just me or anyone else going through this phase ?

ps. what is receptive vocabulary ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now