Tiffin Boys - Maths & English?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
J50

Tiffin Boys - Maths & English?

Post by J50 »

Has there been any indication or hint anywhere whether Tiffin Boys will go down the route of having a Maths and/or English test in addition to the current exams?

The sooner this happens the better surely? Reading posts from various parents on here it is obvious that some of them could do with English lessons also; the level of grammar is shocking, and some forum posts are barely understandable!

Introduce Maths and English testing plus reduce the pathetic new catchment area by (at least) half is the way forward.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Boys - Maths & English?

Post by tiffinboys »

Introduce Maths and English testing plus reduce the pathetic new catchment area by (at least) half is the way forward.
I have written to both Tiffins about their tests / catchment many times. More local parents need to write to these schools and copy to MPs/Councillors/LA.
2tinkers

Post by 2tinkers »

350 I have the very same thoughts every time I browse these forums.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Is it really necessary to comment on the standard of English of parents who are on this site and just trying to do the best for their children? It's obvious that English is not the first language for many of these posters, so what exactly do you expect? I for one am embarrassed by your comments.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1

I think a lot of people are 2outof3, hence the high number of viewers and the low number of responses.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

You are very right, 2outof3 and KCG.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Forum rules 1 and 2

1. Be polite. Even though you are looking at a computer screen and cannot see other members, they are real people who have feelings.

2. “Think first, post second.” A post may not always read the same to others as it does to you. Review your post before submitting it and consider how it will be received by others. If your post is misinterpreted and causes offence, explain and apologise.

As has been pointed out, for many members English is not their first language. I , for one, would not be able to correspond in anything other than my mother tongue and I have great admiration for people who can. We all want the best for our children.

Yoyo

Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Please don't discourage parents who post because they want to help their children do well and are asking for advice. It is fantastic that they are so motivated to put in the work to give their children opportunities that were perhaps denied to them.

I would not be able to post in another language and I don't have any difficulty understanding them. Their children are very lucky to have them as parents. Working in lots of different schools I have met many children who would do so much better if they had such support. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

DAOgroupie has put it very well. I am sure every one here agrees with her.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

On the subject of Tiffin tests, here are extracts from my response to Tiffin School and Tiffin Girls School - with acknowledgement of help from other parents from our primary school in writing these up.
Entrance Tests:
In my view, the Tiffin School’s entrance tests have outlived their purpose. Extreme coaching and hard practice would help even parrots get into your School. I have seen and gone through the NVR/VR tests and what it requires to achieve highly in these tests.

TGS has done well to introduce English and maths tests as stage 2 tests. But the flaw is that these tests are done after NVR/VR tests – so basically the drawbacks are carried on. They are trying to choose more ables among the over-coached candidates in the first place. I also don’t agree to their policy of taking stage 2 tests after CAF deadline. This is against the spirit of the Schools Admissions Code, which require full and meaningful information to be available before filing CAF. Calling stage 2 tests by ranking or other name does not hide the fact these are still the entrance tests and admission is largely based on these stage 2 tests.

Most grammars have now abandoned GL Assessments prepared tests. All five Sutton grammar schools have now 2 stage tests. First Numeracy/literacy common tests and then specific English/Maths tests. I am positive that these schools would be able to select better candidates and that too mostly from their local area. The Berkshire schools in Slough and Reading and Buckinghamshire schools are going for CEM tests from this year, instead of GL based NVR/VR tests. Even Kent is changing their tests, though still prepared by GL. QE (Barnet) and Henrietta Barnett are other examples.

It is time to reflect and adopt better entrance tests. To save costs and select better candidates, it might be worthwhile to join Sutton Grammar Schools' consortium.
I hope that the Tiffin Schools would seriously consider our response.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now