History essays

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

History essays

Post by katel »

Any other year 7s had to write an essay about the Battle of Hastings? How did they get on? My daughter really struggled with this one!
mum3

history essays

Post by mum3 »

My son says they are'working up' to a big essay in History, don't think its Battle of Hastings, think it might be the Romans. Have got two much older children, been through GCSEs, A levels, now at university, so doesnt seem quite so daunting, but need to remember he's never done it before...(not sure I have had to help others with theirs either...) I also completely agree with your other posts on other threads Katel about homework, wish they didn't have any homework at all, they work hard enough at school!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a standard Y7 topic - in my child's school they had a useful prompt sheet showing what they had to do to get each level.
Guest1963

Post by Guest1963 »

I remember our daughter covering this subject in Y7. There is a reenactment game on a certain major British broadcaster's website (I've checked and it's still there) which focuses on the strategic aspects of the battle, also a good account of the battle and the events leading up to it. This proved quite useful for the work associated with the topic, but I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to it. However, I think I've give you enough clues! :wink: If you do a search for Battle of Hastings Game you'll find it.

Post by Guest »

My Daughter has been finding the battle of Hastings much easier.At her independent school the teacher would talk about each event every lesson and then she would have to write at least one a4 page about what she remembered in her own words.She will be tested on this in two weeks time and I'm guessing she probably will have to write an essay or quite a few paragraphs about it.
katel

Post by katel »

It wasn't the topic she found difficult - it was the writing of an analytical essay thatshe struggled with. She did it by herself and didn't get a very good mark - but she was pleased she had done it by herself and got lots of helpful comments for next time. I was just wondering if anyone else's children found this type of writing difficult?

Post by Guest »

My daughter had to write an essay on the same subject at a different Kent grammar. Ah the joys of our flexible national curriculum!

No idea how she did I'm afraid. I think it took her about 20 mins- half an hour but I'm not really sure. At some point I'll have a look through some of her work with her and have a chat about the move from "creative" to factual writing, how to note the salient points and structure essays etc.(And tone down the touchy- feely bit in her case!) At the moment I'm just leaving her to it. I regard the whole of KS3 as a transition period during which they make the change from primary to secondary style work, so no great pressure at this stage.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I agree with Katel that analytical essays are one of the most difficult skills to master.

The first history essays my children ever wrote have all been hilarious and contain gems such as 'so that's why Henry had Becket bumped off' and... 'in the first paragraph I'm going to talk about the first cause, and then in the second paragraph I'm going to talk about the second cause. The conclusion will contain my conclusion.'

It's one of the few areas we've sat down with all our children and given them guidance on the writing style (NOT on the content). Our eldest just got an A in history A level, so it does develop! But I think it's hard for teachers to provide individual feedback needed to develop the appropriate style.

I would definitely recommend talking over the first essays in Year 7 as most pupils have really no idea what is expected.

Geoffrey
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Next time do a google search on 'Batlle of Hastings assessment' [or the name of the assessment your child is doing - you can find some really useful stuff!!
katel

Post by katel »

mum3 - I'm glad someone agrees with me about homework - I feel like a lone voice sometimes!