The 2016 Thread

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
i-mum

The 2016 Thread

Post by i-mum »

Hi to all prents with kids in Year 3!

If you have been just lurking or have started any preperation or if you are like me and just wondering from where to start, lets talk!
parent2013

Re: The 2016 Thread

Post by parent2013 »

Let them enjoy the sun and play. Too early, start in Y4.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Still too early: have a life, enjoy childhood and start at the beginning of year 5.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

In the middle of year4, but definitely not in year3. Concentrate on a school work, home-works, that's enough now.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

parent2013 wrote:Let them enjoy the sun and play. Too early, start in Y4.
Year 5, please not before Year 5! By all means do what parents do anyway, read with them loads, talk with them loads, show them the world, talk talk talk. Really this is all they need! (Twins, both qualified, started Year 5, low key, 30 min tutor once a week, 15 mins mon-fri, thats all)
salsa

Post by salsa »

I've heard of a tutoring place where parents take their 5 or 6 year olds to do VR and NVR! I guess it depends on what is called preparation and what school the parent is aiming at. Some children just need a pass, others are from out of catchment and need very high scores.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

salsa wrote:I've heard of a tutoring place where parents take their 5 or 6 year olds to do VR and NVR! I guess it depends on what is called preparation and what school the parent is aiming at. Some children just need a pass, others are from out of catchment and need very high scores.
Well that is, frankly, ridiculous, however high the score required. If your child is of the right academic standard to thrive in a grammar school, they are already halfway there. They just need some help with specific techniques/question styles for a few months before the exam, depending what area you are talking about. My two had tutoring in year 5 only, each for a highly competitive superselective grammar. Give them a chance to be children, for goodness' sake.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:I've heard of a tutoring place where parents take their 5 or 6 year olds to do VR and NVR! I guess it depends on what is called preparation and what school the parent is aiming at. Some children just need a pass, others are from out of catchment and need very high scores.
2 years to move house into somewhere's catchment area, then...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
VH73

Post by VH73 »

IMO if you start early enough, you can take it easy for a while. But I wouldn't start before year4.
salsa

Post by salsa »

ToadMum wrote:
2 years to move house into somewhere's catchment area, then...
What if you live next to the super selective like for example St Olave's? They don't have a Catchment area. So, I guess it depends on what school I-mum is targeting? Also, some people do not want to move for family and personal circumstances. I don't know, even year 4 seems early, but I'm thinking that this is like every other thread about how much tutoring. It all depends on the targeted school, the child and the child's current school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now