Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Post by fatbananas »

Does anyone know what might be given for a shorter creative writing task for the Kent Test 2014? I don't know how long the creative writing tasks used to be; but do you think the new one might be half an hour? 20 mins? What could be expected to be achieved in that amount of time? Could it be a letter, an advert, a newspaper article? Might they want a story? Or a continuation of a story?

Does anyone know if GL currently do a short writing task anywhere else in the country; and, if so, what kind of writing is required?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Re: Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Post by fatbananas »

Anyone?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Not me! I am hoping that the may announcement, if it still is happening, might make this a little clearer. I don't think it is anything to do with gl.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

So it you think it will just be a Kent education writing task, Mystery? I guess it could be anything, then!
mystery

Post by mystery »

My guess, and this is sheer guesswork, is that it will be similar kind of thing to before with fewer minutes in which to do it.

Is there a thread which talks about it before? I don't know what the range of titles / genres was like before or how long was allowed.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I looked at the first 8 pages of the Kent Forum and couldn't find anything about writing tasks. I appreciate they don't get marked unless the child is borderline so perhaps there isn't as much focus on them. Still, I'd like DS to prepare in some way. Because we are relative latecomers to Kent, I have absolutely no idea about what writing tasks have been set in previous years and am feeling a bit :o :shock: :? about it!
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

My son wrote a story from the title " The day my cat started to talk".

There were a range of titles to choose from - one might have been the adventures of a penny!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Has it always been story titles do you think? And did they have to write a complete story?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Was the old writing task an hour long? I could see that writing a full story in that time might be feasible. But if the new format is 30 mins for planning and writing; do other areas write a story, other than a continuation of the comprehension, in that time? Perhaps it will be a continuation, but, if it is, that would suggest that GL would administer that as well and perhaps KCC wouldn't pay for that. Sorry, thinking aloud here :roll: :lol:

I wonder if it might be more a letter or something along those lines; something a bit shorter and more formulaic.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Kent 2013 test: 1 hr duration
Last one in the block i.e. child is most mentally tired to do it
Choice of 5 topice to write from
No guidance on length To be used only in the event of appeal

My personal recommendation was 2 pages with due thought on planning. Moreover, our target was 423 leaving no scope for appeal/OOC/any hidden condition.

Kent 2014:
If it is for 30 mins
IMHO that would equate to 1 to 1.5 pages max incl 2-3 min planning
Topics aren't hard but it is all about how good can you write considering it may be used in appeal process
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now