New School - what do you think? What's your name choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MSC

New School - what do you think? What's your name choice?

Post by MSC »

Ok, not about the grammars, but about the new school in North Kingston. Just read this article (link below); what do you think? It starts in Sept 2015, would you put it as a backup in the CAF?

Also, the article reveals 4 shortlisted names; "The name of the school is yet to be decided but the four shortlisted names are Kingston Academy, River Park, Hawker Academy Secondary School after aircraft pioneer Harry Hawker and The Cesar Picton Free School in honour of a coal merchant from Kingston who had a rags to riches story".

So, its;
Kingston Academy
River park
Hawkers Academy Secondary School
The Cesar Picton Free School

Which one would you vote for and why?

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/11100 ... ?ref=var_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
loopylou

Re: New School - what do you think? What's your name choice?

Post by loopylou »

They have Graveney's Deputy Head as the new Principle. I should imagine that will instill confidence in many parents. I am not that keen on the shortlisted options for names though.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Not keen on any of the shortlisted names. How about choosing the name of the school situated there earlier (where TGS stands now), which was closed down many years ago as our LA thought there would be little demand for school places in Kingston?

Any one recall the name of that school? From memory, was it Tudor School?
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

The school was originally called Rivermead when it was a boys school. It then became co-ed and the name changed to Tudor. Neither school was particularly successful so I'm not sure that using either name would be a particularly good idea :mrgreen:
MSC

Post by MSC »

Just attended a meeting at Latchemere just now. The new Headteacher was convincing. She's obviously very experienced. It's very comforting that Kingston University's School of Education will be hugely involved and supplying teaching staff in the early period too. So, all in all, I'm optimistic with the new school. I think they will put everything into making sure the first batch of students succeed to secure their reputation.

Some parents asked that the naming of the school be postponed further so that their children be given the opportunity to submit their preferred name !! Gosh! I can't believe what I heard, the advertisement for the submission of names had been out for months and months - everyone had the opportunity to submit !!! I think the 4 are reasonable varied choices. I prefer they just get on with it to be honest.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
MSC

Post by MSC »

2outof3 wrote:Neither school was particularly successful so I'm not sure that using either name would be a particularly good idea :mrgreen:
Point made !!!

I read that the old school failed miserably, hence not many parents wanted their children to go there and that's why it was closed down.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

That's true. Get on with the work. What's in the name? A rose will be a rosé, whatever one calls it.

Having read 2outof3's post, how about Kingston University School?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Both Rivermead and Tudor school were the 1950s school further up Richmond Road (now Tiffin Girls)

The 1930s buildings that the new school is using used to be occupied by Tiffin Girls, they moved into the newer buildings after the other school closed.

What happened is North Kingston had a lot of building end of 1930s, families had children, went to school in 1950s and 1960s. Parents stayed put, grown up kids had to move. Few children for school in 1970s and 1980s. Once these people retired and moved out or died, families moved back in, increased demand for schools, was all known 20 years ago its just taken Kingston Council years to understand basic demographics in their own figures.

Incidently I gather new Head lives close enough to walk but is facing considerable local opposition because the services / courses etc currently at the site and being taken away and moved miles away
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

At this site, transport would also be a big problem. Already Richmond Road gets clogged in the morning/afternoon and now with another big school, next to TGS and Fernhill primary, would further mess things up. With so much new constructions of flats, and conversion of homes into flats from kingston Town centre upward to Hawker centre, there is bound to be heavy demand for school places.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

tiffinboys wrote:...Already Richmond Road gets clogged in the morning/afternoon...
That's why my DD and her friends walk to the station instead of joining the massive queues for the 65 bus! Have Kingston councillors thought about the impact of the (obviously much needed) new school on public transport?