For those of you with both boys and girls.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RedVelvet

For those of you with both boys and girls.

Post by RedVelvet »

With the current rounds of open days I started thinking about schools for my daughter. I already have a son at Tommies, and a second son due to take the test in September, so I am fully clued up with options for boys, but I also have a daughter in year 4. We love the ethos and atmosphere of Tommies and I'd like something similar for my daughter.

So if you have experience of Tommies and a daughter what do you think? We'd look at grammars and comps in both Stroud and Gloucester. So do you love your daughter's school? Thanks.
stroudydad

Re: For those of you with both boys and girls.

Post by stroudydad »

Hi Red having just typed a whole essay about our experiences phone froze, grrr but I'll write again when I get chance.. Biggest point though, try Stroud High, it most definately has an ethos that is plain to see... Whether it be rag, their triple s, or just the way they are expected (and like) to take control of their own learning. We couldn't be happier, and Dd loves it. It clearly has governors who care deeply too;-)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DD is Yr 8 at Ribston Hall and is absolutely loving it - Academically she is doing really well all round and encouraged by things like the after school science lectures organised one of the science teachers. She is loving all the extra curricular things she is involved with such as being a student Librarian, Dance which is a subject but also an after school activity and LAMDA drama exams. It suits dd's somewhat quirky, creative personality. I like the vibe about the place and the fact that any staff I have met have been approachable and happy to help when I have had a query. I also like only being 15 -20 minutes drive a way in case of sickness, emergencies etc dd fancied SHS and did qualify but at the end of the day the journey would have been longer and probably involved more parental input.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Dc, we were also impressed with what we saw at Ribston but because of travel difficulties it wasn't feasible.. Especially as dd has lots of oos activities that start quite soon after school finishes
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks, we'll have a look at both. Also interested in non grammar options too.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Which area?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

We're near Whitminster, but there are school buses to Severnvale, Rednock, Archway, Maidenhill and St Peter's. I know we're lucky to have a choice, it is a little overwhelming!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

We were very underwhelmed with Maidenhill despite the money it has recieved but really liked Some parts of Archway, especially the facilities, but we could easily imagine our quite quiet DD getting lost in the general size if the school, if you know what I mean. Can't help with the Gloucester comps sorry
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Chosen Hill Comp very good but even areas of Gloucester struggle to get in so I guess there would be very little chance from Whitminster.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

It may help your decision to think about what she is particularly interested in/good at. I can't fault Ribston (dd is also in Year 8 there) and she is so happy. It is pretty big on arts dance, drama, music. A friend of mine has a daughter at Denmark and she loves it there. I would say that it is perhaps more academic than Ribston and maybe doesn't have so much emphasis on the arts. I believe therefore that the girls are at the right school for them and that they probably wouldn't have been as happy had it worked out the other way around. Another important consideration is would she be happiest at a co-ed or single sex school? when you ask her, what is her immediate reaction? My dd had no hesitation in saying single sex. I must admit that I hadn't fully appreciated the implications of not having any boys around. On the one hand, she says she feels far less destracted but on the other she misses boys, especially when all her friendship group are hormonal (which seems to be all the time!)My ds wants to go to Tommies, but would like to still have the company of girls (something's gotta give there son!). Horses for courses. Good luck with your decision.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now