Hatch End Mocks

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onzeplus

Hatch End Mocks

Post by onzeplus »

Our preference is for DC to go to one of the SW Herts Consortium tests so will obviously be sitting the tests in the Autumn. We're also considering Mill Hill and will be sitting the first test in the summer.

If we don't pursue Mill Hill then at least the test will have served as a mock for the actual SW Herts tests but I think it might be useful to sit a mock before going for the Mill Hill test. I've seen some mocks run by a tuition centre based in Hatch End and held in at Watford Grammar for Girls which look on paper to be quite close to how the SW Herts Consortium tests will be organised. Has anybody's DC sat these before that can recommend them? My main concern is that if they are not popular then the ranking DC gets may not be very meaningful.

I've seen mention of the 'Sutton Mocks' but when I google them there seem to be a couple of organisations that run mocks in Sutton and am not clear which organisation to use. Is is worthwhile trekking pver to Sutton to sit these?
Daogroupie

Re: Hatch End Mocks

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes. Google sutton mocks pta and you will get the correct website. Also do a search on this forum on Sutton mocks and you will see lots of posts. Where are you based? DG
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Sutton mocks definitely worth doing, Google SGSPTA Mock Tests and you'll get the right ones. Be quick though, they only have a few spaces left and only on 7th and 8th June.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

We also did Sutton mocks and I highly recommend them.

Re Hatch End - my dd did some mocks at a house in Hatch End. I don't know if they're the ones you're thinking of but I wouldn't recommend them at all. The feedback was very poor, I called twice with a query about the results and they didn't return my call!

There is also the 11+ centre in central Harrow - excellent.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Sutton is definitely worth making the trip for. But allow plenty of time for the journey - we got stuck on the M25 and were late. They still let dd sit the Maths paper even though it was half way through and it was reassuring to know she still got a good mark in spite of that. It was a bit stressful though so allow more time than you think you need. There is a nice park opposite the venue if you get there early.
eleven plus exams

Post by eleven plus exams »

Mock exams run by this website are held in Harrow, they are specially tailored papers matching the SW Herts Consortium schools, ie Moray House verbal reasoning papers with 100 questions in standard format as well as the NFER standard maths format.

Details can be found on our mock exams page http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ouse-mocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

lemondrop wrote:Sutton mocks definitely worth doing, Google SGSPTA Mock Tests and you'll get the right ones. Be quick though, they only have a few spaces left and only on 7th and 8th June.
I've just googled SGSPTA Mock Tests. From what I can tell they offer exams in Maths and English. They don't mention VR and the English is multiple choice. In light of this is this the best option for someone sitting the SW Herts 11 plus?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to do a range of mocks. this will give you an idea of where you are in numbers and if you are planning indys then any English mock you can do will be helpful. It is very hard to offer a standard format English mock as it is very time consuming marking it. I would recommend doing Sutton and the forum mocks in Harrow for Herts and then other options for January. DG
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Daogroupie wrote:You need to do a range of mocks. this will give you an idea of where you are in numbers and if you are planning indys then any English mock you can do will be helpful. It is very hard to offer a standard format English mock as it is very time consuming marking it. I would recommend doing Sutton and the forum mocks in Harrow for Herts and then other options for January. DG
Brilliant, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks :-)
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Sutton also gives you a very similar experience of sitting a real exam in a real school with the crowds and leaving mum behind at the door and timing and invigilators etc it really helps iron out any anxieties and allows a child to have the experience of sitting an exam without the results being important. For that alone Sutton is worth the effort in my view. It is also useful to see where your child performs in an age standardised cohort of that size, no other mock has as large a cohort for comparison as Sutton.