Are our DC provided with the formulae?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

catwoman

Are our DC provided with the formulae?

Post by catwoman »

Just wondering if our Dc are provided with any of the formulae for maths e.g speed equals distance over time? or are they meant to know this already :?:
parent2013

Re: Are our DC provided with the formulae?

Post by parent2013 »

better know it, then you know there would be no surprises.

Some private papers give it but depends on the formula and the exam .......so it depends if you want to take a chance or remember beforehand.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thanks parent2013 thats true :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

They are given formula for area and circumference of circles taking pi as 3.14. I think this is more to test their ability to use a formula than knowledge of pi, which is on the year 7/8 curriculum using calculators with pi to four places.

I have noticed some school tests have started assuming they know half base x perpendicular height.."what's perpendicular mean again mum" :roll: for triangles though, whereas a few years ago that was always given too.

Most speed/distance/time problems are worded in a manner where the formula automatically applies itself as the child works through the problem if you get my drift.

Like 2013 says, learn the basics, but do not get them stressed about it....plenty of time for that in secondary school...Ds1 is currently being introduced to trig...remember thinking you would never ever remember that lot. :lol:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

southbucks3 wrote:.. Ds1 is currently being introduced to trig...remember thinking you would never ever remember that lot. :lol:
Sex On High Couches Always Helps To Overcome Arthritis - SOH CAH TOA!
As taught by my year 8 maths teacher and I still remember it some 30-ish years on! :lol:

JD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now