Twins....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onebigdilemma

Twins....

Post by onebigdilemma »

My twin boys are due to take 11 plus in July. I am not doing a lot of prep as strongly believe that if they haven't got what it takes then it is better to be top in a comp than bottom in a grammar.
The bit I am struggling with is having twins and although of similar ability one has a much stronger work ethic than the other and would be more suited to a grammar than his brother.
The twin who does as little as possible to get by also sees himself as not as good as his brother (although SATs over the years have been identical).
I know you should try and send your child to a school that suits their ability/personality but if he ended up at a comp (which would probably suit him better), it is likely to knock his confidence more as he and his brother are VERY competitive.
I realise families with children of different ages have a similar dilemma but do feel it is slightly different for identical twins as they get compared by everyone throughout their life.
Wondered if there were any others with twins who are going through or have been through this.
Thanks
Yamin151

Re: Twins....

Post by Yamin151 »

I have PM'd you
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There was a time nobody prepared for grammar schools so the places went to those who were more suited to the work. But now everyone prepares, so if you do not prepare then the places will go to those who research and prepare for the format of the exam.

Parents pay prep schools to prepare their children and a huge amount of revision very focused on the actual exam takes place. Every year at our local selective average ability students take the places from those on top table in their primary because they have been prepared for the exam.

If your twins are very competitive then use it to your advantage by creatiing a format to help both do well at different points.

There is no reason why both cannot win a place if you do your research and create a little and often routine for them. DG

I would sign up for this or pay a tutor to do it for you. Either option is preferable to seven years of one of your twins feeling hard done by. DG
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

I've PM'd you too. Very competitive twin girls here, not competitive with other kids, only their sister!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Maybe being in separate schools will be the making of them both as people will not be able to directly compare them any more and, more importantly, they won't be able to directly compare against each other.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Thank you for the replies.

I may have misled people by saying little prep....I feel it is little compared to a lot of people on this site!! We do 20 minutes a night, and they both do this no problem as computer time as an incentive!! I am trying to cover the areas that may come up in the papers as well as strengthening their basic skills.

I feel I am fairly laid back as in my own mind I am not sure grammar is the best option with the main reason being it is a single sex school.

On talking to them they do want to go to the same senior school if they have the choice, and they too do not seem keen on an all boys school. Is this a normal reaction??
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now