Difficulty level revision materials

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MerlinFromCamelot

Difficulty level revision materials

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Is it just me... Some of the revision publications that I have seen lately seem very hard for a primary school child. Showed some of the maths questions to a friend who is also a secondary maths teacher and she seemed to agree that some would not have looked out of place in a GCSE paper. As far as the vocabulary books go DD1, now year 9 in a GS, expected to get A* at GCSE does not know what some of these words mean either.

Are these publication pitched at the right level, or are they harder than they should be in an attempt to sell us more books. If the DC passes than great the materials did the trick but if not than if is because they are already week? I do wonder how appropriate some of these books really are??
Daogroupie

Re: Difficulty level revision materials

Post by Daogroupie »

Please tell us what revision materials you are talking about and give us some examples of maths and vocab that you feel is too difficult? DG
MerlinFromCamelot

I was looking at a numerical reasoning book.
Time allowed for each test is 15 mins. The test I was looking at contains 5 questions, 1 question per page. Each question is made up of 5 sub questions.
This means that each page of 5 questions needs to be answered in 3 mins. No calculators allowed.

The missing words; resplendent, beguiled, calamitous, edifice etc...
DD reads widely, her comprehension according to the school is a 5a. I doubt very much she has never seen these words.

Thanks
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

I know that some of the publications (can't name them here) have made it sooooooo difficult that even GCSE children can't do those ambitious words.

I am not surprised to see - resplendent, beguiled, calamitous, edifice etc...

I think it is a joke if they are expecting 10 year old to know these words??
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

parent2013 wrote:I know that some of the publications (can't name them here) have made it sooooooo difficult that even GCSE children can't do those ambitious words.

I am not surprised to see - resplendent, beguiled, calamitous, edifice etc...

I think it is a joke if they are expecting 10 year old to know these words??
Why can't you name them here? Particularly if they are sold by the shop.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
MerlinFromCamelot

Thanks Parent2013. At least not just me then. Think I will go over these words together with DD rather than using the paper as a test. I don't think knocking her confidence would help DD, guess for some DC it may work but don't think it is for us.

Thanks
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

MerlinFromCamelot: Let me do a little boasting first :) - My ds has super-strong vocab and he got into QE, Olave'e, Kent (423), Wilson & Bex (top 180).

Out of these 4 words (resplendent, beguiled, calamitous, edifice), he only knows beguile. We did a whole lot of ambitious words but I still think that the ones above are extreme examples and 99% children may not know the answer.

Fatbananas - I did post an honest message about our general experience at CEM mock (no provider mentioned). http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 98#p434598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess what....our dear admin on this forum has cautioned me that I have referred to their CEM (which I didn't) and requested me to call their office. I have sent a message to them clarifying that they are not the only provider of CEM and to calm down :).
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

parent2013 wrote:MerlinFromCamelot: Let me do a little boasting first :) - My ds has super-strong vocab and he got into QE, Olave'e, Kent (423), Wilson & Bex (top 180).

Out of these 4 words (resplendent, beguiled, calamitous, edifice), he only knows beguile. We did a whole lot of ambitious words but I still think that the ones above are extreme examples and 99% children may not know the answer.

Fatbananas - I did post an honest message about our general experience at CEM mock (no provider mentioned). http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 98#p434598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guess what....our dear admin on this forum has cautioned me that I have referred to their CEM (which I didn't) and requested me to call their office. I have sent a message to them clarifying that they are not the only provider of CEM and to calm down :).

Gosh! Let's hope they only wanted feedback. Everyone on here knows that no other forum comes close to EPE for the easy-to-navigate site, and the breadth and depth of knowledge and material available. I love this place; come on here everyday (as you may have spotted :oops: :lol: ) ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now