CEM materials

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pinkrabbit38

CEM materials

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Is anyone using any good CEM material? We are using CGP and Bond CEM(came out yesterday) and wondered what people think of these materials?

I found them quite good but wondered what others think or if you can recommend anything else?
yoyo123

Re: CEM materials

Post by yoyo123 »

There is an interesting discussion on CEM here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gameon

Post by gameon »

Yoyo123's link has every thing you need.

I have also bought First Past the Post numerical reasoning book 1 & 2. Also Cloze books 1&2. I must say, they are hard, but it is worth to go through them.

Which CEM exam your DS/DD taking? Depending on which area, the level of difficulty may vary.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

gameon wrote:Yoyo123's link has every thing you need.

I have also bought First Past the Post numerical reasoning book 1 & 2. Also Cloze books 1&2. I must say, they are hard, but it is worth to go through them.

Which CEM exam your DS/DD taking? Depending on which area, the level of difficulty may vary.
She is taking the CEM at Chelmsford County High School. Her tutor has been using the First Past the Post series. The numerical reasoning is quite easy for her but the Cloze is really hard.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Stephib, thanks for the heads up on the bond cem papers. Mods any plans to stock them in the Forum shop? No sign of them in there and I do prefer to order from the shop but I was forced to go to ebay. I will be very interested in the standard as I find current Bond papers not challenging enough for my region exams. How do you find they compare to CGP? DG
gameon

Post by gameon »

Hi DG

I got the Bond CEM materials. They are not multiple choice. I would say, the timing is too tight. I know CEM timing is tight, but I think this pushing a bit too far. This is going to demoralize my DS. I am not going to time my DS but will go through them slowly.

Gameon.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

The Bond CEM papers I received yesterday are a mixture of multiple choice and straight answers.

Paper 1
58 Questions VR 20minutes
25 Questions Short Maths 10 minutes
7 Questions Comprehension 15 minutes

Paper 2
15 Questions Long Maths 15 minutes
22 Questions Data 10 minutes
25 Questions NVR 10 minutes
30 Questions Cloze 10 minutes

Mixture of difficulties, some questions seem much harder than CGP and some easier

Hope this helps!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is only thanks to your post that I even know about them! I ordered them yesterday as soon as you posted and will be using them as soon as they arrive.

I look forward to seeing their Cloze. How does that compare to the FPP ones that parents are commenting are very hard?

It will be very interesting to get feedback this year as to how this new CEM material helps prepare for the real thing. DG
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Daogroupie wrote:It is only thanks to your post that I even know about them! I ordered them yesterday as soon as you posted and will be using them as soon as they arrive.

I look forward to seeing their Cloze. How does that compare to the FPP ones that parents are commenting are very hard?

It will be very interesting to get feedback this year as to how this new CEM material helps prepare for the real thing. DG
The Bond Cloze is easier than FPP.x
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

We've done the first of the Bond CEM papers so can only comment on this and I think the vocab in the first section and the comprehension is extremely hard, they are only 10 and there are lots of words my DC didn't know.

I wonder if the trick is just to accept that these will be there and somehow learn to guess or leave those questions.

Also did anyone else think the vocab was hard?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now