Is this the shortest half term ever?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Is this the shortest half term ever?

Post by Okanagan »

Here in Warwickshire our schools have the week either side of Easter (I know a lot of areas had the two weeks before Eater this year as Easter is so late). Which makes next half term only 4 weeks, less the May Day public holiday. ds2's primary also has a day when it is closed to be used as a polling station for local elections, and a teacher training day (sadly they've not done the logical thing and put it on the one day in between polling day and half term). So only 17 school days this half term. I can't ever recall a half term as short as that.
KS10

Re: Is this the shortest half term ever?

Post by KS10 »

A few years ago (possibly over 10), I remember a 4-week half-term in the first part of the Spring Term. I know it happened at least once as I have been hankering after another ever since.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...and, although 4 weeks before another break sounds lovely, it's going to make the second half (at 7 weeks, if I've calculated right) feel ever so long...!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Southend on Sea (and our neighbours Essex CC I assume, since the only pupils I have seen around in uniform are from the school which moved to an 'alternative' term arrangement some years ago) is back to school next week, so we have a 5:7 week split, minus the bank holidays. Swimming lessons where our DC go are now run on bank hols, though - so term actually starts on Easter Monday. Our Scouts met the first week of the holidays and are also meeting on the early May BH as they couldn't bear to be parted from the little darlings for so many weeks in a short period. ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

23 school days coming up before half term if my calculations are correct :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yup, dd's school has 23 school days 'til half term too.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I think like KS10 there has been an even shorter one a long time ago - possibly more than 20 yrs. I remember because we didn't go back to school until after the May day holiday and Easter and then we were off again for the Spring bank holiday. Does make for an exhausting 2nd half. I quite liked the bank holiday being moved to June for the Diamond Jubilee - made for a more balanced and useful term.

I also remember another very short term after Easter, when one of my pupils made it in for the first 4 days, then took two full weeks holiday, was back for SATs week and then 4 days of the last week. The mother complained about the lack of progress made by the pupil and disappointing SAT results. :?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Mine all go back to school on Tuesday, so not quite as short for us, but it is only 14 days before DS1's first GCSE exam and the start of his study leave. For those not going back to school til the following week they will only have 1 week before the start of the exam season.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mine back on Tuesday too, minesatea, but still only 23 days :shock:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Next one is also likely to be quite short.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27100733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;