pass mark...for the math school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lorraine

pass mark...for the math school

Post by lorraine »

i've heard that the pass mark to get in the maths school in rochester is higher than the 11+ pass mark ie: if the pass mark for the 11+ is 510 then the entrance pass mark for the math school is 520. can anyone tell me if this is the case?

Post by Guest »

We were advised by the head teacher of the math last year that any boy putting them as the first choice who passed the test would be guaranteed a place there.
lorraine

Post by lorraine »

thats good news...all he has to do now is pass.....
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I didn't think that any head/school could GUARANTEE a place at their school. Not trying to worry you, I'm sure it'll be ok if he passes.
But as I understand it every school has an oversubscription criteria. Some are distance from home - others such as Rochester Girls School take in rank order of the 11+ test such as you were mentioning earlier Lorraine. You need to check your admissions booklet to see what Rochester Maths school oversubscription criteria is.
Also, this year no school will actually be allowed to know WHAT order you put on your CAF form, the LEA will just try to place your child at the highest possible school on your list that offers a place.
Hope this helpful. :P
Peter

Post by Peter »

The situation for the maths school is as follows: the pass mark is the same as the normal Medway pass mark, but for the past five years, the school has been oversubscribed. In each of those five years, all boys who passed, whose parents persevered secured places. In two of those years there were complaints to the ombudsman, which I handled. Some boys have had to wait for places until October! The Local Authority has vigorously opposed these appeals.

This year the planned admission number has been increased from 155 to 168.

Mr Williams, headteacher, has regularly stated at Open Evenings, that all parents whose boys passed, who have persevered with their applications, have been offered places in the past. This is true, but is very different from a guarantee which he would and could not not have given.
lorraine

Post by lorraine »

thanks for the info Peter. So....after the agonising wait for him to pass I can then look forward to another one to see if he gets a place in the only school he wants to go to...can't wait. I wonder what waiting for GCSE results is like?!
Peter

Post by Peter »

I could have added that in the past, oversubscription has applied to the further reaches of the Hoo Peninsula, the Gillingham end of Medway and beyond, and Kent villages such as Stockbury and Meopham. The increased Planned Admission number should (no promises!) push this range out further.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now