Transport from Swindon to STR, CRYPT , Ribston Hall and HSFG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quest

Transport from Swindon to STR, CRYPT , Ribston Hall and HSFG

Post by quest »

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and I am not sure if this has been discussed in the earlier posts. I have checked but could not topic on transport arrangement from Swindon to grammar schools in Gloustershire.

I need information on transport arrangement from Swindon to STR, Ribston, Crypt and HSFG. I have contacted Denwell but they only go to Pate and STR.
Any information on private transport arrangement or car sharing will be appreciated.
Thanks
Quest
Last edited by quest on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC17C

Re: Transport from Swindon to STR, CRYPT , Ribston Hall and

Post by DC17C »

Please bear in mind that traffic coming along the A419 is often slow around Birdlip, down right awful at times and we can expect months of disruption in Gloucester with the roundabout improvments going on and there can be emergencies when children need collecting and after school activities- for example my DD at Ribston has had drama, dance and science activities finishing at 5pm. It is a lovely school but if I lived in Swindon I would not be looking to put them through that sort of journey for 5-7 years. My dd's best friend has survived 18 months travelling on a school bus from the Forest of Dean to Ribston and has now decided to go to much more local school instead after finding out a place was available. She is so much happier getting the local bus herself rather than needing parents to drop her off for an hour long bus journey which often turns out longer and getting up at a civilised time of the morning. I am sure she will still do well with the parental support she has.
Last edited by DC17C on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I have to agree with DC17C. I regularly travel to and from Cirencester along the A419 and to be honest, I really wouldn't put a child through it. The roadworks when they start are going to be a nightmare. You have to balance your family life and think of all the other commitments you have. I have had to go into Ribston several times for the inevitable "illness" telephone calls and it is a pain, and I only live in Cheltenham. Another example is there is an evening Cathedral service in Gloucester next month. Also, having friends from far and wide can be an issue.

Sorry to sound negative, but I thought it only right to point this out as I know how easy it is to become "locked onto" a grammar school. You all have lives. Alternatively, is train a possibility (although I'm guessing that will be seriously expensive). Good luck with your decision.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

The train from Swindon (and Kemble) to Stroud for Stroud High & Marling is much used by children and the station is a short walk from the schools. Being a public service so if staying for an after-school club, your child can get a later train home.
Capers
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I think coaches direct do a service from Cirencester. Also remember what seems like a long day when they are 10 is just fine when they are 13.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

we are in Swindon.
ds will start at Marling in Sept and take the train. 30 mins Swindon to Stroud and then walk up the hill.

There is a bus from Cricklade, (and possibly Purton?) and it goes through Cirencester, and there seem to be quite a crowd from Ciren. It is a long journey though, twice a day. I did Cirencester to Cheltenham for school and I would not want a longer journey for my dcs.

I think (but I have no details) that I have heard there is a bus from the orbital centre to the grammar schools in Gloucester, but that may be a private mini-bus organised by parents.
quest

Post by quest »

I thank you all for your suggestions. My ds and three others are starting in Sept 2014. We live in the same area but they are all in different schools (STR, Ribston and HSFG).
We (parents) all commute from Swindon to work which makes it hard to take turns to drop them off in their various schools.

Train stations are far from the schools and will require taking buses at some point which will add to journey time.

@steppmum, I was told that the mini bus arrangement from orbital is fully booked for Sept 2014.

We have four months to the resumption date. I will be grateful for any information on people who are currently sharing or a link to parents that are making private arrangements.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

if there is a minibus going that is fully booked and you have 4 kids looking to do that journey, I wonder if it would be worth asking if they would consider changing to a larger minibus?
cairo

Post by cairo »

There is certainly a mini-bus that arrives at STRS from Swindon every morning. Don't know if that's the same mini-bus you are already aware of. Perhaps ring the school office and see if they have any details?
gopalt

Post by gopalt »

Hi All,

My son got a place in Crypt and he is starting in Sept 2014. I live in Swindon. Please let me know if there is any kind of transport arrangement from Swindon to Cypt school.

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Regards,
Gopal
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now