Form groups

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Morgan0210

Form groups

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light, my daughter is starting shsg in September, does anyone know or from past years how the form groups are arranged? My daughter doesn't want to be with others from her primary and as there's normally only a few fro
Each primary going do they normally keep them together?
Also do sats results mean anything to grammer schools? Are they grouped in ability or is it a complete fresh and they retest each child ?
If anyone can advise be really appreciated thanks
ToadMum

Re: Form groups

Post by ToadMum »

DD only started at SHSG at the very end of year 7 and I know that she is in a form with girls not from the area we live in, but I think that on the whole they do group the girls geographically. I would suggest that you contact the school if you have particular reasons for your DD not being allocated to a form in a particular way, and see what they say.

In terms of setting, at least in year 8 this only seems to be for Maths and French - I couldn't make any sense of some of DD's class labels when she moved up last September, so I asked. (I had asked DD first, but this didn't get me very far - it turned out that she was in a middle set for both, but she was subsequently promoted to a top set in Maths :) ). There is some testing at the beginning of year 7, which I believe is for setting purposes.

I wouldn't worry too much about your DD's form allocation - in a form of 30 and with another 120 girls in addition to this she will soon make new friends.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
yrd2000

Post by yrd2000 »

My daughter is in Year 7 and from what I can gather they try to split children from the same school across the different forms. The girls in DD's form come from a wide area.
However they do mix the forms up for different subjects so she does have some classes with one of her primary school friends.

In Year 7, they are only put in sets for Maths. They have a setting test in October and a follow up in February.

SHSG is a brilliant school. Your daughter will love it I'm sure.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Thank you both for your helpful replies :-)