Non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Candy33

Non-qualification

Post by Candy33 »

My child did not qualify by 5 marks. I plan on appealing. His current levels are 5C in numeracy and 5B in reading and writing. Has anyone get any advice on what else I can do to increase my chances of winning my appeal? I will be submitting letters from the head and class teacher. My partner (who is my child's father) and I split in August is this worth a mention? (I am a bit reluctant as I have no proof of this). Thanks
Etienne

Re: Non-qualification

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Candy33 wrote:Has anyone get any advice on what else I can do to increase my chances of winning my appeal?
Have you seen the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(starting with points 2, 4, 5, and 10)
My partner (who is my child's father) and I split in August is this worth a mention? (I am a bit reluctant as I have no proof of this). Thanks
You don't really need evidence of the split, so much as evidence of any impact on the child.
For example, was the school aware of the situation? Did they notice any effect on your son (his work or behaviour or anything else)?
Etienne
Candy33

Post by Candy33 »

Thank you for your advise. I think I have finally got all my bits together. Is there anywhere I can email you my appeal letter?

Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Candy, but we don't usually have time to check individual appeal letters.

There is advice in the Q&As about how much to write and what to include.
Etienne
Candy33

ST BERNARDS APPEALS

Post by Candy33 »

Hi,

Anyone got any tips or advice for appealing to St Bernards?

Thanks

• "Please do not start a new thread each time you post about your own case, even if you are moving away from your original question - it helps us to have all the information in one place."
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DC17C

Re: ST BERNARDS APPEALS

Post by DC17C »

I don't know about this school but you need to find out if any appeals have been successful in the past - the school may actually tell you if you ask- that at least will give you an idea of how much of a chance you have of succeeding.

As for tips - I think it is such an appeal is such a personal thing that it is difficult for any one to give you much in the way of tips as it so depends on what evidence you can provide. There is plenty of advice in the appeal section for this website as to what that evidence might be. Also depends on whether qualification for a school is based on getting a certain score or whether places at allocated to the top ranking scores. You need to focus on what academic evidence you have and reasons why that school is so right for your child.
Candy33

Post by Candy33 »

Can anyone tell me if this is a conflict of interest - the clerk who I submitted my 11plus paperwork to and the 'clerk of appeals' is the same person? This is a school where the governors are in charge of admissions.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The Appeals Code says: "1.4. Admission authorities must appoint a clerk to the appeal panel who is independent of the school ......"

If the clerk has something to do with admissions, I can't at the moment see how he/she can really be independent of the school.
Etienne
Candy33

Post by Candy33 »

Thanks for your reply Ettiene

The same clerk who confirmed the details of the whens and where of the 11 plus test is the same person who I sent off the appeal details to and this is the same person I have to confirm my attendance at the appeal to. Surely the school would know this is a breach?

Also my letter states that they have offered the full 'pan' and there are 20 more kids on the waiting list. At the appeal should I question if all the kids who have been offered these places accepted or should I just keep schtum?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Candy33 wrote:Surely the school would know this is a breach?
The problem with schools that run their own appeals is that they may lack the knowledge and expertise to ensure things are done properly. Own-admission authority appeals have always attracted more complaints than LA appeals.
Also my letter states that they have offered the full 'pan' and there are 20 more kids on the waiting list. At the appeal should I question if all the kids who have been offered these places accepted or should I just keep schtum?
No reason why you shouldn't ask if there's been any 'movement' - i.e., whether any of the 20 have subsequently gained a place.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now