dyslexia and extra time for SATs

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry22

dyslexia and extra time for SATs

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Happy for this to be moved if another section is more appropriate but having had the diagnosis of dyslexia with in the exam access range (diagnosis given on basis of slow writing, poor ACI memory and poor phonological awareness) - we have had the application for extra time in SATS turned down - looking at the form on the NCA website it doesn't surprise me as the 8 questions the agency pose are very broad.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... -questions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had a quick google for any on-line chatter about the new system but can't see anything however I am not very patient with Mr Google. If anyone knows anything or how to go about challenging it then it would be great to know.

We are in the typical position of a bright child that fails the 11+ - they have masked their problems so well they are deemed not to need help despite the fact that extra time in SATS could boost them from a 5C to a 5B which for an IAP could prove to be the tipping point. I know Y6 externally marked SATs only come back with L5 (or L4) on them but they are still doing classroom assessments in exam conditions so before we face the IAP we could have boosted the sub level with the extra time.

It doesn't really seem fair that you are not allowed to show your true ability but are hindered by a disabilty.

I've moved this here, although it's more "SEN" than "11+"!
It may get more attention from those with experience of dyslexia/SATs than it would on Appeals.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now