Denmark Rd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Denmark Rd

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Anyone off to visit Denmark Rd this evening ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Riverfifty

Re: Denmark Rd

Post by Riverfifty »

We were there this morning. Very well organised. Not too busy when went but it was first thing. We went last September when it was a little more hectic! Two Yr 7's showed us round. They were friendly and polite and seemed genuinely happy with the school. The quality of the work around the school was outstanding. My daughter loved it. Fingers crossed she qualifies.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Riverfifty wrote:We were there this morning. Very well organised. Not too busy when went but it was first thing. We went last September when it was a little more hectic! Two Yr 7's showed us round. They were friendly and polite and seemed genuinely happy with the school. The quality of the work around the school was outstanding. My daughter loved it. Fingers crossed she qualifies.
Thanks Riverfifty, as a Ribston girl myself, I am intrigued to see the difference.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I was pretty disappointed and didn't get that warm glow. They will really benefit from the new building work. It must be quite tough for some of the teachers in the old terrapins. Most seemed nice enough though.

They don't have an equestrian team like the other grammars so as my DD is very keen on that it really put her off.

it's the wrong side of town for us anyway so glad we went to confirm it as a non runner. It won't be going on our list.
Last edited by Sunshine 11 on Fri May 02, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

We had completely the opposite opinion & felt a much 'warmer glow' at Denmark so are very surprised by your post. Both schools are good & your DD would be very lucky to gain a place at either!!
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

I am surprised too. My DD is extremely happy at Denmark Rd. I think it is important to remember that different schools suit different children. We are all trying to do our best here and such strong and negative opinions are not particularly helpful.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Sunshine 11 wrote:I was pretty disappointed and didn't get that warm glow. They will really benefit from the new building work. It must be quite tough for some of the teachers in the old terrapins.

They don't have an equestrian team as the head feels it is too high risk ! Amazing as all the other grammars have them and she is happy to send students off skiing ! a much riskier sport. So as a horse loving family it's a no from us.

On the plus side I felt so glad I went to Ribston not Denmark road:0) I benefitted from excellent pastoral care and lovely caring teachers.

it's the wrong side of town for us anyway so glad we went to confirm it as a non runner. It always depends what you are comparing to of course. Quite disappointed though as I always got the impression it was a better school than Ribston. Evidently not !

Let's be honest, any school's equestrian "team" is more to do with the pastime/interest of the family rather than the school getting together for a weekly practice?! I have a brilliant picture in my mind of all horsey kids turning up for Tuesday afternoon horse trials on the playing field!! Hahaha!!!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I agree bananabrain far too negative remarks. We all have our favourite/preferred schools but what is right for one child is not right for another. I wasn't overly keen on the huge dance emphasis at Ribston but that doesn't make it wrong & I certainly wouldn't post rude comments about it!! & as for no equestrian team??
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

It's funny but I wasn't keen on Denmark but loved Ribston. My best friend was the opposite though and didn't like Ribston at all. Fortunately it all worked out well with the girls getting the schools they wanted and they are both very happy. My dd loves dance (although there certainly isn't a huge emphasis on it), drama and languages so Ribston is ideal for her. My friend's daughter is more academic and prefers more "serious subjects" so Denmark suits her better. We are all very lucky to have these schools as they are both excellent. Horses for courses.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Watermelon8 wrote:We had completely the opposite opinion & felt a much 'warmer glow' at Denmark so are very surprised by your post. Both schools are good & your DD would be very lucky to gain a place at either!!

Well Denmark Rd won't be on our list but yes i will be pleased if she is offered a place at Ribston.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now