Educate123 appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Educate123

Educate123 appeal

Post by Educate123 »

Hi Etienne,
I have just posted an email in the appeal box. This is my first message. Was wondering whether it will be picked up?
Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Educate123 appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

educate123 - have moved this to a new thread for your appeal questions. Etienne is very busy with looking at appeals. If you feel you are able, then please ask any questions on the forum as you are likely to get more help from a range of people - Herman (Mod)
Educate123

Post by Educate123 »

Which thread has it been moved to? Not sure where to post it now, am a bit confused. I was hoping to get a brief response to our case as our appeal is a few days away. Would really help. Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you can post your query on this thread :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Herman - and welcome, Educate123! :)

There a topic near the top of the Appeals page that explains about using your own thread. Here's a direct link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Before we go any further, can I ask you to confirm that you've read all the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(We can do a better job of advising if we know what you know!)

When you've read through the Q&As, try and post any remaining queries as general questions. You don't need to reveal all the details in your email - we have those as background information.
Etienne
Educate123

Post by Educate123 »

Thanks Etienne, I have read through all the Q&A section
I have been reading the forum for a while and have found it to be very useful and informative.
We are appealing in Bucks after an unsuccessful selection review and have our group hearing and individual hearing next week.
Just some background: Our daughter (September born) achieved a low score of 102 and is currently 5a(Maths) 5b(Reading) and 5c(Writing) Predicted : Level 6 (Maths)5a(Reading) and 5a(Writing)
I have a few questions regarding the appeals system this year:

1) We submitted her reading, writing and Maths levels in November for the end of autumn term with the selection review. These levels were exactly the same as her end of Spring levels /Mock SATs in February (as above). This looks on paper like she hasn't progressed at all in one term.
Do you think it would help to provide the panel with the Spring data considering there is no change or do you think it may be detrimental to the academic evidence as there's no indication of progress in one term on paper? Her teacher said that she is at the top end of 5b and 5c for reading and writing now, but no evidence on paper of this. Please advise

2) How long should we spend discussing FCO to the panel? One of our extenuating circumstances was that our daughter was affected during the test by children who distracted her.
Is it important to stress this in the hearing if it wasn't considered by the SRP?( Full details in email)

3)Is it a good idea to mention that she missed out a couple of questions in the test if they ask us, or should we dodge the question?
Will they deem her unsuitable if she didn't complete the test?

4)Is it a good idea to bring in text books if you have a few negative comments in there for incomplete work or unfinished work? My daughter is a perfectionist! Her Maths book has all great comments but in the literacy book the comments are occasionally regarding unfinished work. Comments like, if she had finished the task she would have achieved the objective! Other comments are how excellent her Writing is. She is currently producing work varying between 5c-5b, but not a secure 5b. I don't want the literacy book to ruin her chances of success at the appeal. Will the panel expect to see books? If so, what should be our response if we choose not to bring them along?

I apologise for the long rambling in this email. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Educate123 wrote:1) We submitted her reading, writing and Maths levels in November for the end of autumn term with the selection review. These levels were exactly the same as her end of Spring levels /Mock SATs in February (as above). This looks on paper like she hasn't progressed at all in one term.
Do you think it would help to provide the panel with the Spring data considering there is no change or do you think it may be detrimental to the academic evidence as there's no indication of progress in one term on paper? Her teacher said that she is at the top end of 5b and 5c for reading and writing now, but no evidence on paper of this.
You're not required to provide an update. Probably best not to if it doesn't look like helping your case.
2) How long should we spend discussing FCO to the panel?
Impossible to say! It depends how many general points are covered at the group hearing. It then depends on the individual case as to how many issues remain for stage 2.
One of our extenuating circumstances was that our daughter was affected during the test by children who distracted her.
Is it important to stress this in the hearing if it wasn't considered by the SRP?( Full details in email)
No need to stress it. You should simply ask for clarification - did they or didn't they consider it? If they did, why no mention?
3)Is it a good idea to mention that she missed out a couple of questions in the test if they ask us, or should we dodge the question? Will they deem her unsuitable if she didn't complete the test?
It depends what the reason is. If it's because someone has special needs, that might prove they needed more time. If it's because someone works very slowly, that might not be at all helpful.
Of course, the reason could simply be that the new CEM put everyone under much more pressure, with the result that many children had unanswered questions!
4)Is it a good idea to bring in text books if you have a few negative comments in there for incomplete work or unfinished work? My daughter is a perfectionist! Her Maths book has all great comments but in the literacy book the comments are occasionally regarding unfinished work.
Again, it depends what the underlying reason is, and whether the panel can identify it. Bright but lazy would probably be better than slow and plodding.
I don't want the literacy book to ruin her chances of success at the appeal.
I doubt that would happen. After all the exercise book might be needed in school on the day of the appeal, and you could hardly be blamed for that.
Will the panel expect to see books?
I don't think so, especially now that they have so much to get through (in most cases probably FCO and oversubscription as well as qualification).

My usual advice is not to select which exercise books to bring, but if the maths book is really excellent, then I'd err on the side of letting them see it on its own (if they seem interested).
Etienne
Educate123

Post by Educate123 »

Thanks so much Etienne, this has really helped :D
Another quick question:
If the appeal is successful will we have to wait for an oversubscription appeal hearing? If so when do they take place?
I'm assuming she will go into the next round of allocations? Or will we have to put her name on the waiting list for the school.
I'm not sure how it works, could you shed some light on this please.
Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 74#p440174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 00#p440000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Educate123

Post by Educate123 »

Thanks once again Etienne.
A quick question:
Say if the grammar school still has places, would this influence the panel to fill those places with the best candidates from the non qualification appeals or do they treat it the same as an oversubscribed grammar school? Thanks