confidence in Vocabulary

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
target14

confidence in Vocabulary

Post by target14 »

How can we feel confident about DC vocabulary? I am asking this question because there is no end for vocabulary to learn. How can we determine what extent we have to make DC to be prepared for the 11+ vocabulary?

Hope some one can share their throughts to define what is the limit for the 11+ vocabulary
MamaBear

Re: confidence in Vocabulary

Post by MamaBear »

I know how you feel so many words so little time. Give them vocab tests, there's a list of CEM words used in past papers and get your child to read good books and look up the words, you can't know every single word but its good to increase your vocabulary anyway.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Hi target14 totally agree with MamaBear...its true you can't know every single word...what i tend to do with my Ds if he doesn't know the meaning of a specific word i get him to read the full sentence and then make a guess also does the word look similar to another word that your Dc knows :?:
Tbh i don't think there is a limit hth :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

catwoman wrote:Hi target14 totally agree with MamaBear...its true you can't know every single word...what i tend to do with my Ds if he doesn't know the meaning of a specific word i get him to read the full sentence and then make a guess also does the word look similar to another word that your Dc knows :?:
Tbh i don't think there is a limit hth :)

Working out the root word/finding familiar words within the given word, completely backfired for me with ds2 once; Einstein known for his idiosyncrasies became an "idiot". :lol:
Made worse by the fact that the word idiot is banned (although they still use it on one another) in our house, as it is such a cruel world to use as an insult.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Yes i stumbled across that one a few days back 'idio what could it possible be?' 'something to do with idiot mum?' :)
target14

Post by target14 »

Thanks for inputs..

We ensured to DC to go through following vocabulary resources

CEM past vocabulary list picked up in this forum
NFER list
AE Vocabulary
freerice

additional to these we are ensuring book reading aswell as DC like to read books. Any additional suggestions are welcome to gain confidence
maa

Post by maa »

Hi All,
I have searched a lot for link to CEM vocabulary. Can anyone help pls?
Is there a link to AE vocabulary as well? Thnx in advance.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

AE is an exercise book isn't it? Very good for increasing vocab, shame I found out a little too late, otherwise I would have started earlier.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

We did not find AE useful.

CEM past is good but super-selectives do ask for more ambitious words embedded in passage and questions.

I guesstimate the vocab to be 2.5K words. Please don't ask me for the list as I don't own it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now