I feel stupid

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aleia78

I feel stupid

Post by aleia78 »

Hi all

I have just started tutoring my daughter for her 11+ (her teacher says she is currently borderline but will 'probably' be entered) and after attempting a Bond paper myself I feel completely stupid. :shock:

Where I grew up the 11+ had long been abandoned and thus I had never even heard of it until I moved to Kent. I would like to add that I have always been told I was in the top 10% of my class and I have acheived 4 A levels at A grade and two BA degrees and therefore I know I'm not actually stupid.

How can I instill confidence in my daughter when I lack it myself?
Where do I start in attempting tutoring areas I struggle with?

Lastly... can anyone recommend a good tutor in the Thanet area of Kent?

Many thanks.
Aleia (Mum to Kayley)
wise one

Kayleys Mum - Don't fret

Post by wise one »

Eleven Plus Exams are much the same as any other exams, and your credentials show that you are no stranger to examinations. The 11 plus exams are in theory testing “Intelligence, Speed and Accuracy” and by way of examinations distilling the cream of the applicants for the Grammar schools. It should be apparent to you that the “Speed and Accuracy” element is something that comes from the 3 P’s: “Practice, Practice and Practice”.

The “Intelligence” element is not that daunting when tackled systematically.

Determine the syllabus or at least what is expected in each area by looking at past papers (if attempting the independent schools) or practice papers for grammar schools. For instance in Mathematics there will be fractions, decimals, percentages, areas etc and in verbal reasoning there will be jumbled words, missing letters etc.

When you make the list it may at first appear daunting. However when you get down to it you will realise that at most it will take approximately twenty minutes per topic to ensure that the basics and mechanism for answering each question has been grasped. A well planned timetable will make light work of almost all the topics. You should be able to complete the syllabus inside of 3 months at a relatively gentle pace. After that the order of the day is the abovementioned three P’s (for parents it’s the four P’s, the latter being “Prayer”).

There are numerous publications that will help you find the best way of answering any type of question if you care to read around before coaching your child. There are many “How to …” books in this website’s online shop, and one complete set costs covering all four disciplines (Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning) costs less that one hour of a tutors time! Kent does not do Non-Verbal Reasoning to my knowledge.

There are many debates raging on about whether or not to employ a tutor. In the end it is an individual choice and has as much to do with your ability to pay, your own academic credentials (yours seems over and above those of most tutors), and your relationship with your own child. Remember many tutors have a tendency to “cherry pick” – i.e. only take on kids that will enhance or maintain their success rate so that they can maintain the (relatively high) rates that they charge in subsequent years.

There are lists of tutors and courses on this website and in Kent “Tutors For You” have an excellent reputation; their details appear in a number of places on this website.

Hope this information helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now