Athey VR papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Athey VR papers

Post by berks_mum »

A few questions :

1) Where do they stand in terms of difficulty level - entry, mid or hard ?
2) Is the set of 6 progressive in difficulty ?
3) I understand they are not very good for CEM but may help with vocabulary and other basics (not complete waste of time)?
4) What sort of score I should look for ? Just a rough estimate (I know this will vary from school to school).
sonasona

Re: Athey VR papers

Post by sonasona »

I don't think they are that difficult, I'm aware of a few children doing all 6 papers last week and scoring an average of 95%+. They are graded.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which school are you aiming for? They are a good fit for any school doing Moray House such as Herts Consortium,DAO and St Albans girls. The questions that give you one set of data and then ten questions frequently trip students up. I would put them as harder than Bond and GL but not as hard as Walsh and Bright Sparks. You would need to be getting in the 90's and yes they are good for CEM. DG
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

is that 90%s for the St Albans girls school ? I thought they put more weight on their Maths and English papers
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

sonasona wrote:I don't think they are that difficult, I'm aware of a few children doing all 6 papers last week and scoring an average of 95%+. They are graded.
Wow 95%+, I am amazed. Doesn't leave enough room for silly mistakes. Well there are stalwarts everywhere :-)

On a serious note, what should i do if my dd doesn't get 95%+. I was under the impression that first round scores should be above 85% and then increase with successive rounds.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Daogroupie wrote:Which school are you aiming for? They are a good fit for any school doing Moray House such as Herts Consortium,DAO and St Albans girls. The questions that give you one set of data and then ten questions frequently trip students up. I would put them as harder than Bond and GL but not as hard as Walsh and Bright Sparks. You would need to be getting in the 90's and yes they are good for CEM. DG
DG, with the work move still uncertain, as much as I hate, we will have to make DD sit for a multiple exams. Some of them CEM and others others GL assessment.
DD found the first paper very easy (it was easy) but some of the next were harder, she said.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Will someone help me understand the answers to :
( VR pack 1, paper 6 )

Question : 5 (find a four letter word hidden between two words)

Don't feed the apes.

Answer in the answer sheet: THEE or HEEL

( DD found the answer as HEAP, joining the third and fourth words)

Question : 54 If 10 8 18 18 means KISS then 19 0 3 8 means ---- ?
Answer in the answer sheet : TAXI

( DD's answer TADI. She said, it is the +1 rule, 3 corresponds to C so it should be C+1 = D not X.)

Am I having my thick moment ?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Abcdef g hi j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
0123456789101112131415161718192021222324 25

Printing errors.

First one is clearly heap

Second one should read 23 not 3 in the question

Give your girl the points, plus extras for the aggravation! :D
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Yep, a gold star for getting 'heap' even though it was not on the MC answer sheet :wink:
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

berks_mum wrote:
sonasona wrote:I don't think they are that difficult, I'm aware of a few children doing all 6 papers last week and scoring an average of 95%+. They are graded.
Wow 95%+, I am amazed. Doesn't leave enough room for silly mistakes. Well there are stalwarts everywhere :-)

On a serious note, what should i do if my dd doesn't get 95%+. I was under the impression that first round scores should be above 85% and then increase with successive rounds.
Don't worry, anything above 75% is pretty good at this stage, there is loads of time to go yet. It will all come with time....are you attending the Sutton mocks soon (English & Maths)? I've heard they are supposed to be good.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now