WGGS hard sell on money

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helpme!

WGGS hard sell on money

Post by helpme! »

Just wondering if anyone else went to the new parents evening last week at WGGS. I was completely surprised by the repeated request for parents to donate 'at least' £35 a month to the school.
Anyone else find this unusual? :shock:
kenyancowgirl

Re: WGGS hard sell on money

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No. It is completely standard in all comprehensive and Grammar Schools as it is the only way they can continue to function as their budgets have been cut so dramatically. The only thing that varies is the amount and I would have to say that £35 is about the standard amount for a GS - but I have heard of some that ask for a lot more. For most middle income families I suppose it equates to a bottle of wine a week so it is not that onerous - I am always quite surprised at some of the GS families I meet who tell me they can't afford it (as they pack themselves off to Florida for 13 days at Easter!) - but if you are a low income family and genuinely can't afford it then remember it is only a suggested donation.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

blimey :shock: I never spend that much on wine! probably explains why the local GS asks for £15 a year
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

£180 per year here. There are a few threads on this. The amount & the aggressiveness with which the schools ask for it seems to vary quite a lot.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

£180 per year here.
On wine scary...I refuse to believe you are that frugal, unless you spend the rest on gin?

Ours asks for £250 I think..Dh does that bit, then a few hundred more for rugby, then cricket, then rowing etc etc you get the picture! We pay a bit here and there for the sport, we don't go on big holidays though and make and drink homebrew and home made wine...some that send a a shiver down the spine. :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Suggested donation £100 pa for eldest, £70 pa for subsequent DC here (GS); I think the GS DS2 will be going to asked for £60 pa when DS1 was there (at least, that's what we gave them and they never complained). The comprehensive that DD attended in year 7 did not ask for parental donations.

No chasing us up when our bank refused to act on the Standing Order forms the school had sent us to complete, in fact a letter from the school thanking us for our donations arrived just after HSBC wrote to tell us that we hadn't made any. Obviously some schools do go about these things more aggressively, though.

If you feel that £35 a month is more than you can afford, just pay what you are comfortable with
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
helpme!

Post by helpme! »

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess it makes sense to ask parents to help out. I was just struck by how over the top it was --beginning with the Head and then the president of the PSA- all before we are even at the school.
new2me

Post by new2me »

£10 a month at Parmiters.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

We were surprised by this too because it's not something you really come across at primary school! But if you think about it, it does make sense. WGGS is a great school that does very well with all the girls but does suffer a little from very dated buildings. All of the new and refurbished facilities that your DDs will benefit from have been funded by past ( and present) families.
We have a DD in Y7 now ( and have another starting Sept 2014) and so far, that first meeting has been the most forward in asking for money for the school. You will get reminded at the second parent and DDs meeting too and then everyone gets regular newsletter reminders during the year, but they only ask for what you can afford and no one is singled out.
I know some people give £10 a month and some give £100! I don't think they want people to put themselves on the poverty line by funding the school, they are just asking for what you can afford.
Ordinaryjo

Post by Ordinaryjo »

Think we were asked for between 40 and 60 a month at hbs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now