AGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nimbus

AGSB

Post by Nimbus »

I went to the parent information evening as AGSB last night. It is one parent that has put this last minute appeal in about the change of format. Why??? It is causing so much stress/uncertainty for the poor kids- I feel very angry about it!!!
Sorry to rant. :cry:
TIDDLYMUM

Re: AGSB

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I'd be annoyed myself. But- there are due processes for any change to admission arrangements for all schools and if they haven't complied then its down to the school.

AGGS managed to do it properly.
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:I'd be annoyed myself. But- there are due processes for any change to admission arrangements for all schools and if they haven't complied then its down to the school.

AGGS managed to do it properly.
I think AGGS will have to revert to the original format if this appeal is upheld as they do the same exam and followed the same process?
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Yes it does make it even more infuriating when it is one parent, i bet their child is some genius wizzkid at nvr and not so hot at english!, i would imagine that both schools have put forward the same criteria for the changes but nobody has put in an objection at the girls school. Lets face it girls generally speaking seem to lean towards english as a whole rather than boys, however i was pleased with the change, one less thing to cover or so I thought! Lets hope that things get pushed along before June 16th , i for one cannot imagine they will favour one parent over a school, however you just never know do you??
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I think AGGS did the necessary consultations-its explained on the website- two academic years before

http://www.aggs.trafford.sch.uk/index.php/admissions-53" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contrast this with the consultation done by AGSB ( as per their letter below they state consulted Dec 13 and Jan 14- so implemented almost immediately)

http://www.agsb.co.uk/doclib/Admissions ... arents.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link below explains the two year cycle ( though not in great detail)

http://www.education.gov.uk/schoolsadju ... rangements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Section 2 of link below provides more detail

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I understand AGSB have not complied with the necessary code.

I haven't a personal axe to grind as I have no children left to go through the process. But I do think that the admissions code is there to be adhered to and is a protection for parents where the school/admission authority gets things wrong when admitting children- which does happen sometimes.

Its just a shame that this situation has caused such uncertainty for this years takers.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

AGSB and AGGS sit the same entrance exam so will be in the same boat.
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

I don't have anyone sitting this year, so really just an interested spectator. Must say I agree with the posts made earlier - AGBS should know there their procedure and follow it... really I feel very sorry for everyone sitting the exams this year. I can't see why the girls school however will have to backtrack and issue an NVR paper they have done everything right by the looks of it. I know they share exams usually but maybe this year they will have to go their separate ways.

What does this mean for the September 2015 exams... will AGBS have to begin the 2 year process again or will they be allowed to make the change in this year?
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Am i not reading things correctly (something i seem to do a lot but tell my children off when they do it!!!) but both schools seem to have covered the same time scale/criteria when you read it?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

the consultation has a lead in of approx 2 YEARS, AGSB consulted and changed within a couple of months.

AGSB and AGGS historically sat the same format of exams but not necessarily exactly the same exam I don't think. I could be wrong there.

The girls school will be able to sit the new style exam as they have consulted and changed as per the code.

The only get out that there could be is that AGSB are an academy - whether that is a 'get out' from the Admisison Code requirements I don't know?
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

wilmslowmum wrote:Am i not reading things correctly (something i seem to do a lot but tell my children off when they do it!!!) but both schools seem to have covered the same time scale/criteria when you read it?
I seem to remember AGSB and AGGS announcing the possible change at the same time? They have always followed the same format so would imagine that AGGS will also have to use the NVR format if AGSB is unsuccessful on appeal.
I bet AGGS are watching developments closely!
Awful for the children though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now