Illness during exams

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PB Mum

Illness during exams

Post by PB Mum »

Good morning, all...I'm sure this has been answered in the past, but I clearly haven't found the right 'search words'. We have one doing GCSEs from tomorrow, the other ASs...joy! DC2 with GCSEs had an awful cough and cold (unable to sleep with it) for 3 days last week, and is now much better, but DC1 (AS tomorrow) has been really crook for the last 24h. It is 'only' a bad cold: I would usually just keep them at home for a day or so, and dose up with paracetamol etc, but this isn't an option. I suspect tomorrow's performance will be sub-optimal...I wouldn't normally dream of troubling the GP with something like this, (especially as a Monday will be manic for the surgery), but presumably I should /will have to 'register' the ill-health for the exam board?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
southbucks3

Re: Illness during exams

Post by southbucks3 »

Ring the surgery and explain, I am sure they have dealt with the same request on many occasions before.

Most importantly, imo, make sure your child has a cold and flu tablet twenty mins before the exam, with caffeine built into it. You will have to time the doses correctly for peak effectiveness. Obviously under normal circumstances not ideal for sixteen year olds, but there have been extensive studies which prove the effectiveness in increasing alertness during a cold by taking these tablets. Don't let them use them too much or too late in the eve though or you are getting close to the red bull fiascos of student days. :wink:

This is just my opinion, I have used the tabs myself and been pleased with the results, they seem to temporarily lift the fug. I am not medically trained, but I do research what I use.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi PB Mum

Sorry to hear you have a virally challenged household - am desperately trying to avoid it here :wink: .

TBH I am not sure that an exam board is going to do much if they know that a child was ill on the day - there will always be a certain number (me for example 37 years ago :oops: ) .
What is important is that the school know as they will be writing the references etc for UCAS and can highlight the fact in there - as it is important that the uni know whether the AS levels were a true reflection or whether there were extenuating circumstances.

Having said that, I am not sure that any of us know how much difference it makes as the application / offer / acceptance / reconsideration process for uni is not open to appeal etc etc

How you get the fact recorded by the GP?
depends on size of practice and how busy they are - sometimes can be done by phoning the GP and having a chat on the phone about it, possibly could see the practice nurse (they do lots of minor illness and letters can done at a a later date from what was written in the medical notes). In ye olden days (pre 111 ) we would have seen kids in out of hours and the record would then be in the GP notes but TBH now the waits are much longer and I don't suppose they would get past 111 anyway (haven't personally tried :lol: )

Best thing to do at the mo is dose em up (omitting the whisky) just before the exam and get them home for a rest as soon as possible after - have known lots of people do this and I think you can produce enough adrenaline to get through a 2-3 hr exam in reasonable form.

Good Luck!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ring the Exams Officer first thing and explain - they will then be able to get the invigilators to keep an eye on them and ensure that they have water/tissues etc if needed - and if they look like they are fading fast, can action it quickly. We often have kids taking exams with coughs/colds etc (obviously if a cough is going to distract others that needs to be dealt with - sucky sweets etc) and, particularly this time of year, raging hay fever - I am not convinced that it registers particularly highly to exam boards but by all means let the surgery know and ask for them to make a note of it on the health record - I think the school will be your strongest ally with regards to referencing the cold, if dc has an absolute shocker. Make sure they have a big bottle of water (no labels) to take in with them as they should sip regularly if they have a cold to keep brain hydrated!
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Thank you, all...a 'garage run' has topped up the medicinal supplies, and I'll test-run the caffeine today. It's the pyrexial (39.4'C) brain fog that's the main problem, but hopefully that'll only last 24h. I will get in touch with the school first thing: as she's been at school until Friday, she'll have 'shared' the virus already (sadly).
Our practice, like many others, is inundated...it takes 48h for a call-back. I think my best plan it to drop them a letter tomorrow that they can scan and add to her file. She doesn't need to be 'seen'.
Whilst we can't go through it for them, we just want to help don't we....comfort muffins are in the oven, and the mixing bowl's been licked.... :wink:
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

my son had a fever in the evening preceding his 11+ for Brum CEM exam (and it was fireworks nite the nite b 4).

We decided to let nature takes it course and he sat the exam with a very bad flu. No decongestant to keep him drugged/blocked up.

Thats just what we did, chemicals don't cure, they block and inhibit. I would rather my child flows and his brain works inhibited especially at those pressure situations

Good luck
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

Instructions from our school
Get a note from GP, even if it is a medical issue that you would not usually bother him with.
The note must mention which exams will be affected and how your DD would be challenged compared to normal, ie headache, not sleeping etc. Get it to the schools examination officer asap and if this is after the exam make sure that the exam officer makes a note of illness before DD enters exam hall.

I only know because we are in the same boat..... :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

honscupboard wrote:Instructions from our school
Get a note from GP, even if it is a medical issue that you would not usually bother him with.
The note must mention which exams will be affected and how your DD would be challenged compared to normal,.. :(
Just bear in mind that the gp will probably charge for note like that ..
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I think I paid £20 last year for a letter saying that dd1 had tonsillitis. After a LOT of waiting around, and the dr's first letter saying that she was too ill to sit the exam, which was definitely NOT what I'd asked for! It was a real hassle. If you look at the special considerations (or whatever they're called), you'll see that being a bit ill may be worth 2%. I couldn't and can't work out whether if you have a letter you're guaranteed the 2% or whether it's discretionary. Just to help you decide whether it's worth pursuing :-)
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Again, many thanks
As it's a Monday and the exam's tomorrow, the letter will have to be after the exam: I will drop a note in, and ask them to write an appropriate letter....it's not that she doesn't want to sit the exam, it's just that, through no fault of her own , she's not 'on form'(and this applies to anyone else in the same situation)
As for charging, that's how life is now...and what's £20 in the grand scheme of things?