English Section for St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vinitasurya

English Section for St Olaves

Post by vinitasurya »

Hello,

Am hoping some of the experienced parents can help me on this one!

I know most boys who get 'likely' for St Olaves do get 100% in Maths, but would anybody know what percentage the children are expected to get in English (the comprehension section)?

DS is doing ok in Maths but has never crossed 85% in English and this is worrying me!

Thanks in advance
Daogroupie

Re: English Section for St Olaves

Post by Daogroupie »

I would think the bar is lower for English. Most selective schools tend to have applicants who do better in Maths than in English. Is it not the combined total that wins the place? DG
gameon

Post by gameon »

100%. Is that likely? is it because the papers are easy? or because boys are doing so well? mine never scored 100% but on the 85-95% mark on available papers bought from book shops.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

There's a sample paper on Olave's website. The top 120 boys I guess are super bright academically, heavily tutored and know the game. I know couple of children who are in top of their class & have got into Judd, DGS and Wilson but have missed out on Olave's by a narrow margin.

DAO- The final score is weighted towards English. They want boys who are not only good mathematicians but also good readers and writers :) . There's no NVR component in the test and very little VR.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks for putting me right Parent2013. How very wonderful! I wish more schools would do this. I am off to look at their sample paper. How much prep is done to gain a place? DG
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

DAO- The final score is weighted towards English. They want boys who are not only good mathematicians but also good readers and writers :) . There's no NVR component in the test and very little VR.

So what % are we aiming for in the English section?
Nims

Post by Nims »

I don't think it really matters if one has to be perfect in any subject. If your DS is scoring 85%+ in subjects then he stands fair chance. I know few who were excellent in Maths however not so great in English got through Olave's. Similarly, there were few who were fantastic in English couldn't get through. It's the overall performance that tips the balance. In our case, our DS was above average in all subjects and not a champion in any however was able to clear Olave's, Wilson's and QE (we decided to proceed with Wilson's finally).