Anyone else confused?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
imustbecrazy

Anyone else confused?

Post by imustbecrazy »

Aaargh starting to get scared now, I have DD2's appeal for SHS next week. I have been informed there are 41 appeals being heard! :shock:
They've never had that many before, and the past few years if you passed you got a place! Anyone have any idea why this year is so different?
What are the other schools like, does anyone have those numbers?
I guess it will be the strongest cases will win. What makes me nervous is that many of the 41 have qualified (we are a non qual and oversubscription).
Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Anyone else confused?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sorry, I can't help, but I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I've sent a pm
CyberMummy

Post by CyberMummy »

One factor that may be relevant this year is that there was initially a significant mismatch between the number of Y7 places in Gloucestershire and the number of applicants. I was told this by a head teacher and a parent of a child at two different, affected schools. At least one comprehensive is adding a class to its Y7 intake to alleviate the problem. However, in such circumstances, there will probably have been a greater than normal number of families who did not get into their first choice school or indeed into any school on their CAF. Also, with a fixed number of grammar school places and a significantly larger number of 11 year olds, it is likely that the threshold for getting into the grammar schools will have risen slightly this year.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That figures. The developers around our way have given the sweetener of a new primary school to assist with their planning application. Unfortunately, the powers that be fall for it and don't follow the logic of when they leave their lovely sparkly primary school, they won't have places for the next phase of their education.

I don't suppose they mentioned if this years exam entrants are in a similar position, or was it a blip last year? I read of one woman recently who is a single parent with three children aged four, eight and ten. The older ones are in the same primary, but she didn't get the third child a place there.... or any of her other three choices. She now somehow has to figure out how to get the youngest across town on a bus (costing £30 per week) whilst simultaneously getting the other two to their school. She then has to get back across town to her job for 9am! Poor woman. This shouldn't be happening. Perhaps I was lucky but where I grew up, you automatically went to your local school; no exceptions.

Edit: I found this very helpful post from Amber from last year and thought I'd borrow it. The rise in birthrate year-on-year is staggering. No wonder school places are such a huge issue:

Live births 2000-2010

Quote:

807,271 2010
790,204 2009
794,383 2008
772,245 2007
748,563 2006
722,549 2005
715,996 2004
695,549 2003
668,777 2002
669,123 2001
679,029 2000

From Office for National Statistics. No idea how many are girls :D

Sorry tried to space this better but it wasn't having any of it.

PS- The ONS site is a mine of fascinating but not exactly shocking information: for example, the name Holly is more popular among girls born in December than at other times of the year; and the name Summer is more popular in, er, Summer.
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

Hello!
Sticking my nose in as i am feeling your pain! We are in a very similar position with our DS - it's hateful but nearly over :?
You may want to pop your request for advice on the appeals forum - there seem to be lots there who can empathise/advise.
Loads of luck x
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

So is it only in Gloucestershire this shortfall in secondary education happened? If so, maybe they should be looking closer at regulations for out of county applications! (Yes I know I am putting myself in front of the firing squad for saying this, but it makes sense to me).
Or maybe the grammars need to offer an extra tutor group in the coming years too.
I feel for the single mum, I too am a single mum, and my daughter got her 4th choice, which is an hour drive in the car, and a would need some creative working to take a bus, yet we are local to SHS!
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

So is it only in Gloucestershire this shortfall in secondary education happened? If so, maybe they should be looking closer at regulations for out of county applications! (Yes I know I am putting myself in front of the firing squad for saying this, but it makes sense to me).
Or maybe the grammars need to offer an extra tutor group in the coming years too.
I feel for the single mum, I too am a single mum, and my daughter got her 4th choice, which is an hour drive in the car, and a would need some creative working to take a bus, yet we are local to SHS!
cazien

Post by cazien »

imustbecrazy wrote:So is it only in Gloucestershire this shortfall in secondary education happened? If so, maybe they should be looking closer at regulations for out of county applications! (Yes I know I am putting myself in front of the firing squad for saying this, but it makes sense to me).
I think the shortfall happens in every county that have Grammars :( . A lot of people would agree that only children from within the county should go to our Grammar schools, but not all counties have them which is the problem. Government policy dictated that everyone is entitled to an "equal education" so a lot of grammars were closed and comps created. I just feel sorry for the children who have to travel for hours a day just to get to and from school. An education system that does not agree with the current policy of "one type fits all" is what is needed - but I can dream :lol:
Monkeyfeet

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Were on the same situation for marling ds has qualified but no place, we had out appeal today and another 33 appeals to be heard fingers crossed for good news for us both xx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now