BBC A Point of View: Not leaving education to teachers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WindowGlass

BBC A Point of View: Not leaving education to teachers

Post by WindowGlass »

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26480053

Philosopher Roger Scruton muses on his own grammar schooling compared to the opportunities for children today.
mystery

Re: BBC A Point of View: Not leaving education to teachers

Post by mystery »

I certainly try not to leave my children's education to their current teachers - despite the school preaching that is exactly what you should do. However, when they go to school all day every day it is hard not to do that. Yes, I know that baking is the answer.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Same here. The primary school teachers especially Y5 are not geared at all to teach anything close to grammar school prep. The homework is a laugh....my ds used to complete that in like 5 mins. Even the standard of question are awful. I mean algebra is of the level -

y - 2 = 3 so what is y? :lol:

Very little comprehension & creative writing. The vocabulary is even a bigger joke with words that my ds used to do when he was like 7 yr old.

I don't see how even the brightest child can now get into super-selectives without being tutored by parents and/or private tutors.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

I wouldn't want to talk down on the teachers, but I would like to see parents do more and get more time to help the children from an early age - like playing with and reading to them - a better standard of early years childcare etc.
We need to shift gears in this country,without institutionalising our little ones. I'm sure we could do it if there is the will to.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

They spend so many hours in School that there is not enough time(receptivity) left for parents to do much with them on a daily basis.

I may be the odd one out but I will be happy if my DCs have their school hours reduced.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Agree. The child can always have hay fever in summers (no GP letter required). That will give you 3 days off.

I know parents whose children fell more n more sick as the exams approached :lol:
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

I am glad to know I am not the only parent who sometimes, secretly thinks that school hours are taking up valuable learning time! :)

I thought I was going a little mad...

(I don't blame my children's teachers, but with an assembly everyday, the getting changed for PE, which takes more time than the actual PE, the time spent herding children to and from breaks and lunch, getting everyone organised and quiet, etc. it's a wonder that they have any time to learn at all!)