Reading List for Grown Ups.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Reading List for Grown Ups.

Post by doodles »

I often notice books listed on here that I feel like reading but then I can never find them again so I thought it would be nice to have one list people can add to.

So here goes with the book's I've bought today:

Jamaica Inn (again :oops: )
Catastrophe, Europe goes to War 1914 - by Max Hastings
The Reason I Jump - Naoki Higashida
The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson
Attention All Shipping -Charlie Connelly

(I was spending birthday voucher I don't usually buy 5 books in a day!!!)

Anymore recommendations?
Snowdrops

Re: Reading List for Grown Ups.

Post by Snowdrops »

Arrrrrgh to the Max Hastings book Doodles.

If you really want to read up on WWI there are much better authors I could recommend :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Snowdrops wrote:Arrrrrgh to the Max Hastings book Doodles.

If you really want to read up on WWI there are much better authors I could recommend :(

What has sir max done to upset you snowdrops? I thought it was a very well received book.

Currently reading tombstone by yang jisheng....Will take me ages.
Also reading Hillaire beloc compilation, including cautionary verses. :lol:
Also reading seriously dodgy village green type murder mystery (I love em)
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri May 23, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Recent books that I would recommend:

Levels of Life by Julian Barnes
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I have Kate Aitkinson's Life After Life on the shelf waiting. I'm also considering Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles, after hearing some of the recent R4 serialisation. I did enjoy Jonas Jonassson's 100 year old man book (can't remember the exact title?)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

This week I have just remembered that I want to re-read a number of texts that came up in English exams: Charlotte Grey, The Crucible, An Inspector Calls, Roll of thunder hear my cry, Of Mice and Men...It is always the excerpts in the exams that remind me of forgotten lovelies!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

An Inspector Calls
Ruined for me by a particularly awful play by the chiltern players in Gerards cross about twenty years ago. Dh bought tickets thinking it would be fun. The main male character... not the inspector, sent the whole first act, very badly pretending to smoke and ham acting being a posh college grad. Thankfully someone set fire to a skip outside the building and we escaped during the fire evacuation. Dh still maintains that a punter called some one and asked them to do it so everyone could be reprieved. I swear only close only if the cast went back in, the local pub was full of the audience. :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh southbucks, I have a secret love of the Agatha Raisin murder mysteries, but shhhhh don't tell anyone :oops:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

doodles wrote:Oh southbucks, I have a secret love of the Agatha Raisin murder mysteries, but shhhhh don't tell anyone :oops:
:lol: it's called "cosy crime"

If I say "snakes and b**tards" we can share our secret doodles. :oops:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

TigerMum wrote:Recent books that I would recommend:

Levels of Life by Julian Barnes
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

I have Kate Aitkinson's Life After Life on the shelf waiting. I'm also considering Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles, after hearing some of the recent R4 serialisation. I did enjoy Jonas Jonassson's 100 year old man book (can't remember the exact title?)
Cazalets is a great series. I read a lot, but not particularly intellectual. I did an English degree and suspect that spoilt classic literature for me, though in my top ten are Pride and Prejudice (of course!!), The Woman in White, absolutely first class read, Great Expectations, Silas Marner and The Great Gatsby.
I tend to go for thinking woman's mysteries, like Kate Mosse, all good, love the time travel type thing, Rachel Hore.
At the moment I am reading

Bread and Wine, a love letter to life around the table by Shauna Niequist. She is very strong in her faith and I am not, but it doesn't intrude (for me) on what is a gorgeous read, with recipes.
doodles

Post by doodles »

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Ok, SB, I won't tell if you won't.
Last edited by doodles on Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.