Random q: Is a dinner jacket/ black tie needed at Cambridge?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kit

Random q: Is a dinner jacket/ black tie needed at Cambridge?

Post by Kit »

Does anyone with a son/ nephew etc at Cambridge Uni know whether they need a DJ very often at Cambridge Uni? I haven't a clue.
The reason for asking is to decide whether hiring or buying makes sense.
Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drama 797

Re: Random q: Is a dinner jacket/ black tie needed at Cambri

Post by Drama 797 »

Hi,
My son is in his 4th year of a medical degree at Cambridge and I would definitely suggest buying a dinner jacket unless you are expecting a dramatic difference in body shape/ size over the next few years. We bought a jacket from M&S for our son and some trousers from primark which were much slimmer fitting, a great match and wash really well. Formal dinners are very much a part of the social life at Cambridge, although they don't all require black tie, some do, depending on what your interests are. In my opinion it will be a good investment and needn't be expensive. Well done to your son on gaining a place, I hope he has a great time there.

Regards Drama
Kit

Post by Kit »

Thank you, and and many thanks for the information.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Many, many years ago DH found a brilliant dinner jacket at Oxfam which cost a fraction of a new one and served him well for decades until it shrank in the wardrobe... :wink:

I imagine it's not a great time to look in local charity shops if all young men are looking for prom suits, but you may find something a little further afield and the money should go to a good cause!

Or ask some other DHs whose DJs have also shrunk over the years...
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Agree with all that has been said, my DD is also going to a central and old college this year, and def needs formal dresses....her friends at Cambridge already have been advising, so a summer of dress shopping beckons! :lol:

Good luck to your son, kit.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Also very useful if he is musical and is likely to be playing in orchestras...
CyberMummy

Post by CyberMummy »

Colleges at Cambridge have quite different 'personalities' and at some of the more informal colleges you will not need formal wear at all. Also, men at any college can graduate in a dark lounge suit and hired gown.

If the college has not told your son that he needs specific clothing for formal dining, then I suspect that it is not necessary. The question then becomes whether he will need this garb for social activities. I do agree with the comment about DJs for orchestral musicians, which would apply at any university. At Cambridge, if he is likely to want to attend a formal May Ball (tickets are pricey) then formal wear is required but at Magdalane and Peterhouse it is not a DJ, it's white tie. However, colleges are increasingly holding much less formal (and more sensibly priced) June Events instead of the May Balls, so it is perfectly possible to have a good time after your exams without dressing up like a penguin. The college that started this trend was actually King's, one of the older, central ones - this college is extremely informal.

For anyone reading this with a daughter heading to Cambridge, I would just add that the situation is a bit different for ladies. Owing to the fact that men still outnumber women at Cambridge at all levels including undergraduates, women are more likely than men to be unexpectedly invited to a May Ball by a phenomenally affluent fellow student. So, if your daughter might be inclined to accept such an invitation, particularly if she is reading a subject where the gender imbalance is pronounced, I would recommend hanging on to the Sixth Form prom frock.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

invited to a May Ball by a phenomenally affluent fellow student
:lol: :lol:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Just wait... There will be someone on here in a minute with a 10 year old asking if they should buy the DJ a few sizes too big now in anticipation...

Sorry couldn't resist :D

Nice family story about Cambridge May Ball as that's when my brother proposed to his now wife at the top of some college roof/chapel tower or other - can't remember which one. They obviously lived to tell the tale.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Never made it to a May Ball in 4 years at Cambridge, though as in my day there were no Prom dresses hanging in my wardrobe it's probably just as well! The (ahem) 30 year reunion dinner did have plenty of DJs, lounge suits, kilts, frocks short and long, and what was even better, it was free! ( though there was plenty of highlighting the valuable work to be done by donations from generous alumni.....)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now