ratio q's.

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
adhdad

ratio q's.

Post by adhdad »

Hello all, question share 70 pounds among 3 people so that 1 gets 1 and 1 third as much as either of the others. how much is the large share ?

im looking for the simplest method for ds to tackle these type questions.

Ps does any1 know of these type of questions having come up in previous cem exams.

thankyou all
parent2013

Re: ratio q's.

Post by parent2013 »

Can you please type the question EXACTLY as it is in the book and also specify which book it is from?

I guess you mean to say the split of 70 could be like 30, 20 and 20
where 30 is 1 and 1/2 times 20.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Hi,

These are questions from a tutor pack for my daughter from three years ago ( now using for ds). They were not from any book that i know of. They started quite easy with 300 pounds shared out among 4 people so that Arnold gets 20 pounds more then any of the others. How much does Arnold get ?

They then progress to something like Divide 648 pounds between two people so that one gets 1 and one quarter times as much as the other. How much is the greater share ?

Do you calculate a quarter of 648, share the rest and then add the quarter back on. Or do you some how share the 648 by 2.25 ( ratio ). sorry im not the best at maths but looking for the simplest methods to deal with such questions.

thanku all
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

adhdad wrote:Hello all, question share 70 pounds among 3 people so that 1 gets 1 and 1 third as much as either of the others. how much is the large share ?

im looking for the simplest method for ds to tackle these type questions.

Ps does any1 know of these type of questions having come up in previous cem exams.

thankyou all
No doubt someone will be along to say this is the worst possible way to do it, but...

Divide everything into thirds - two people have 3 thirds each and the third person has 4 ("one and one third as much as either of the others"), which is 10 thirds altogether.

Then divide the amount of money by the 10, which is £7 (i.e. per third), and allocate the ten £7s so that two people have 3x£7 (£21) and the person with the largest has 4x£7, i.e. £28.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Toad mum your reply was very good. Im not sure if its the correct method but your explanation seems good to me.

would this method work for most whole numbers mixed with fractions for ratios ?

Q Divide 648 pounds between two people so that one gets 1 and one quarter times as much as the other. How much is the greater share ?

following above thread would i say divide into quarters which is 8 and 1 extra.

divide the money by 9 which is 72. and 5 times 72 = 360.

thanku
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Is this a very likely 11+ question? I can't recall ever coming across such a question in my vast ( :roll: ) array of literature on the subject.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Fat banana your most likely rite. I think i will try and concentrate on the more common topics and not try to cover everything. Sometimes you can be led a little astray.
russet

Post by russet »

I would set this out as a ratio.
1 1/3 : 1 : 1
I would then multiply by 3 to make them whole numbers.
4:3:3
Adding these together makes 10 (4+3+3)
So each part will be worth 70/10=7
The first person gets 4 parts and the other two get three parts. The ratio is now
7*4 : 7*3 : 7*3
28:21:21
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello all, question share 70 pounds among 3 people so that 1 gets 1 and 1 third as much as either of the others. how much is the large share ?
Either toad mum or russets way look good to me, but you simply would not get such a badly formed and phrased question.

To test ability of ratios or knowing that fractions and percentages and ratios are linked the question would more likely be something like: one person gets 4/10 and the other two divide the remaining equally, or even laying out, 4/10, 3/10, 3/10. The question may also say that one person gets 40% and the other two divide the remaining between them. To say one gets 1 1/3 as much is just deliberately confusing, poor english and poorly structured and would not happen in a professionally created test imo.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

That's why I questioned the source. There's no point OP putting a poorly phrased question and all helpful members trying to make sense out of it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now