Are appeals the same everywhere?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rabbie burns

Are appeals the same everywhere?

Post by rabbie burns »

Sorry if these two questions seems simplistic.

1. Are the rules around appeals the same everywhere or is every school different
2. Do you need extenuating circumstances eg illness or can you just say your child is very bright and back it up with school levels etc. I ask because couldn't many people who dont get in do the latter, leading to large numbers of appeals. How would they differentiate between a large number of bright children?

Good luck to everyone.
southbucks3

Re: Help - Appeal Submission Advice

Post by southbucks3 »

rabbie burns wrote:Sorry if these two questions seems simplistic.

1. Are the rules around appeals the same everywhere or is every school different
2. Do you need extenuating circumstances eg illness or can you just say your child is very bright and back it up with school levels etc. I ask because couldn't many people who dont get in do the latter, leading to large numbers of appeals. How would they differentiate between a large number of bright children?

Good luck to everyone.
Don't have a clue about the other areas, bucks has a pass mark of 121, everything above is nice to have but irrelevant to gaining a place. This is because the grammars are supposed to take the top third of the children tested, but this changes as parents reject their offers and the schools have realised to fill their quota they need to review any child who's parents have entered a review on their behalf with evidence of ability and/or extenuating circumstances before places are allocated. This year the schools would not have been at full capacity without the successes...lots of them.
Some of us chose to wait for an independent appeal as we wanted to speak face to face with someone, in our case probably a mistake?
The independent panel will let barely any appeals through but this has absolutely nothing to do with whether the school is full or not, but simply a decision on what they consider to be the best action for the child.
Some children may have passed, but have not been located their ideal grammar school, again the parents approach the panel to site reasons why only that school is suitable for the child, they as a rule need very strong reasons to win a place above the waiting list in this case. I have no idea of examples I am afraid, I desperately hope single sex schooling is not winning places for people as all the uppers are co-ed so this would be a seriously flawed reason, but who knows. I guess social and pastoral reasons of importance are mostly heard?
So a bit different here to up north! Kent is different again, with head teachers of the child primary school being involved at first somehow?
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri May 30, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: Are appeals the same everywhere?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
rabbie burns wrote:Sorry if these two questions seems simplistic.

Basically they're the same everywhere, because the Appeals Code provides a framework that all state schools must follow.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Do you need extenuating circumstances eg illness or can you just say your child is very bright and back it up with school levels etc.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I ask because couldn't many people who dont get in do the latter, leading to large numbers of appeals. How would they differentiate between a large number of bright children?
If there are too many 'academically suitable children, then .....
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne