Free bus pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Free bus pass

Post by Yamin151 »

Any chance of me applying for a free bus pass when we pass AGS to get to KES? I would argue that our choice of school was based on wanting single sex and it offering more suitability for our son than the mixed sex grammar nearby, but not sure this will wash. Of course I should have realised this AGES ago, but didn't even think about it. We will of course just have to swallow the cost,and serves us right, and worth it for the school, but just wondered.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Free bus pass

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hmm...could be a long shot! My understanding for the free bus pass is you have to live in the Southern circle and it be to your nearest school (or nearest grammar school, if you have opted for grammar) - can't remember where you live, but, if it is in the southern circle, I think you would fall foul of the nearest grammar thing. I don't believe they get into the reasons why you chose a particular grammar, as that is your choice. Warwickshire are quite rare in that they still offer transport to the nearest grammar (if you meet the living requirement) as most counties have now gone down the route that they will only pay to the nearest school (if you choose a grammar, that is on you) and I can imagine Warks going down this route at some point. But always worth asking!!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Sadly you wouldn't even get a free pass to Alcester if it were your closest grammar school, unless it were the only secondary school available and more than 3 miles from your home. Warwickshire stopped paying for such things ages ago. They used to make exceptions for faith schools such as Trinity in Leamington but even that concession stopped about six years ago.

In relatively recent years there was a court case (not in Warwickshire) where some parents argued that the county should pay for the nearest grammar for their daughter as it was more than 3 miles away. The county won on the basis that a comprehensive could still meet the educational requirement for that child, regardless of what the parents thought.

This gave the green light for all counties to charge for anything other than your nearest school!
confusedb50

Post by confusedb50 »

Hi my dd got a place at AGS initially and we were offered free bus travel there. Now she has a place at SGGS and we've got free travel to there, even though it's marginally further.
So not sure how that works, but apply and find out!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Is your closest secondary school more than three miles away from home? If so, you'll be entitled to free travel to school!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Warks mum wrote:Is your closest secondary school more than three miles away from home? If so, you'll be entitled to free travel to school!

No, a secondary closer and also another grammar.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Sadly I don't think you'll be eligible then :(

This, however, might be the key as to why confusedb50's DD gets a pass to a further-away grammer - if she lives more than 3 miles from the nearest secondary school of any kind she would get one anyway, though that's only my guess.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Warks mum wrote:Sadly I don't think you'll be eligible then :(

This, however, might be the key as to why confusedb50's DD gets a pass to a further-away grammer - if she lives more than 3 miles from the nearest secondary school of any kind she would get one anyway, though that's only my guess.
Good point. No harm trying though I guess ......
confusedb50

Post by confusedb50 »

Yes I think you're right Warksmum we are nearly 4 miles to Alcester and just over 4 to Shottery
jmc

Post by jmc »

Hi, we are in Warwickshire and my daughter (and a few others I know) has a free bus pass for RHS, even though it is not the nearest secondary school. We are (only just) over the 3 mile criteria. It was a nice surprise!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now