... panicky child = forgetful/silly errors

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

... panicky child = forgetful/silly errors

Post by heartmum »

How do I help my DC?

Generally when doing maths/comprehension/word problems at home, not in a test situation but working through papers DC is very good, i.e. 20 questions, average 2-3 wrong. But when DC is put in a test situation, starts to panic, gets upset, starts crying and ends up getting a lot wrong, i.e. 20 questions 10-12 wrong :( DC admits to feeling worried when being timed/tested and says that suddenly forgets words, maths sequences ... basically goes blank. How best to deal with this? I've given DC this week off to get away from the pressure of the work and just have a week off with siblings - which has been lovely :) but it's back to school soon and I know with time moving on we need to focus on the work :roll:

Can anyone help/advise on coping mechanisms I can try to put in place to help DC deal with these moments of panic when DC looks at one question, doesn't know it, falls apart and gets the rest wrong! I'm trying so hard not to show my frustration at DC getting questions wrong that can be done easily :( Help :idea:
Heartmum x x x
salsa

Re: ... panicky child = forgetful/silly errors

Post by salsa »

Have you tried timing your DC without telling them? Maybe after a few times you can then say that your DC got a good score and thus give your DC some confidence.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi heart mum, I have pm'd you with son numbers ones panic tactics. X
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Many thanks for advice, much appreciated. :) x x x
Heartmum x x x
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Hi Southbucks3 would you be kind enough to share your top tips. My DD is a nightmare for not concentrating due to this. It would be much appreciated. :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello, have pm'd you a copy of heartmums pm. I don't want to post the info as people know me on here and it would embarrass him if he thought every one knew details of what a pickle he got into for tests and exactly how we helped him.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

SB3, Me too ! One copy please.
You should write a book. I am sure it will sell like hot cakes.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

I am at a loss too. My son just freezes if any pressure is applied....I don't suppose he will hide under the table in the exam like he does at home!! :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Son number three always hides under the table, I think there must be something soothing about it under there, right until the moment I push the chairs back in. :lol:
pp1

Post by pp1 »

Hi Southbucks3. We have the same probs here so any tips would be really useful. Many thanks!