Steiner Schools - opinions please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

Steiner Schools - opinions please

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Does anyone know if Steiner schools are good. I have an ADHD ds and some people say they are good but am not sure as I can't understand what their ethos is. Cheers
sherry_d

Re: Steiner Schools - opinions please

Post by sherry_d »

Personally I wouldn't touch a Steiner school. There is a big perhaps biggest Steiner round here and I have heard some awful things about their beliefs.

One former parent told me they don't do academics as in gcses, most will have 2 or 3 at 17 when they take them. I wondered what they do beyond that, apparently the area with the school is known for that and other unconventional beliefs surrounded by their businesses so they just give each other work. Plenty of Germany families too coming for the school. You have to buy into their dogma too, things like you can't kick football etc.

There is plenty of information on Steiner schools if you Google around. I have a child in a Montessori school so looked into Steiner before running a mile.
Impossible is Nothing.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I've seen threads on mumsnet about this. Steiner usually complain. Google and you will find plenty out about their philosophy. I have to say that it's not what I would choose, but each to their own.
scary mum
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Thanks both. Have dug around a bit more tonight and am still struggling to "get" what they're about, which I don't like. It seems they are a bit Marmite and provoke really strong opinions. So far, i don't feel very impressed. Cheers
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... /RR645.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a link to a very thorough DfE report on Steiner schools in England, published in 2005.

An interesting snippet from a different (Swiss) report: At the Steiner schools, 52% of the children had had antibiotics in the past, compared with 90% in the control schools. .
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's brilliant Amber thanks. It was going well until I got to the bit about not starting ICT until 13/14. In this day and age ICT is essential and I think the quicker you can get started on it the better. Also, they really don't seem fussed about tests, qualifications, etc. Nor am I but it is real life and will hopefully help them get jobs. From what I can gather also from stats, not all pupils are entered for things like GCSE English and Maths. Really not sure about it but I will read through the report.

Amazing the bit about antibiotics - mainstream education bad for your health? Surely not!!!

Many thanks.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:That's brilliant Amber thanks. It was going well until I got to the bit about not starting ICT until 13/14. In this day and age ICT is essential and I think the quicker you can get started on it the better. Also, they really don't seem fussed about tests, qualifications, etc. Nor am I but it is real life and will hopefully help them get jobs. From what I can gather also from stats, not all pupils are entered for things like GCSE English and Maths. Really not sure about it but I will read through the report.

Amazing the bit about antibiotics - mainstream education bad for your health? Surely not!!!

Many thanks.
Don't forget the report is almost 10 years old so ICT policy may have changed by now.

I think the antibiotics thing is more to do with the demographic of those who choose Steiner schools. Many people with a more 'alternative' (for want of a better term) lifestyle eschew antibiotics for their children, or at least perhaps demand a higher level of proof that they are really needed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

All the doctors round here must have gone to Steiner schools then. It is certainly not a case of well informed parents turning down antibiotics when the symptoms appear to be viral. It's more the case that sometimes you don't get an antibiotic until you need it I.V!

Is there some Steiner philosophy/ bunkum about adult teeth and readiness to learn? Or am I falsely discrediting Steiner?
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Steiner was a genius and ahead of his time.

imo these type of schools and schooling (Steiner,Krishnamurti,Gurdjieff) only flourish when their founders were alive and able to cast an eye on the teaching and select the appropriate teachers.

I doubt that the present day schools are able to convey the original teaching philosophy. I would go for a Montessori school .
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Amber

Post by Amber »

School is not compulsory. For some children schools are like prisons.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now