Clear cut idea of each subject in csse?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pg19

Clear cut idea of each subject in csse?

Post by pg19 »

Hello,
With the new csse pattern of exam this year, is it correct to say that English paper will have around 60%comprehension and 20%each of creative writing and verbal reasoning/ applied reasoning? Also, will only around 10% of maths paper have NVR based questions.

Do we still prepare coding types in VR ?are there specific types of the 21 you all are preparing for csse?

All comments appreciated.
Pg
pg19

Re: Clear cut idea of each subject in csse?

Post by pg19 »

Some of you are quite experienced on this forum. Your suggestions regarding the mark distribution will be vital.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I am sorry but my experience would suggest that it is unwise to assume anything. Unlike in other areas the CSSE maths and English exams have always been written by teachers at one of the consortium schools. My understanding is that which school writes which subject changes each year. In the past although there was thought to be a format, particularly to the English exam, things could suddenly change without warning. The exam my DD took, sept 2011 entry, the English exam was significantly different and caused a bit of an outcry.
Given that this years exam is "new", I think the sample papers should be used as a guide, but I do not think it wise to assume the mark distribution will remain the same. I would also not restrict yourself to the 21 types of VR now that GL assessment are no longer involved, anything could come up. The sample paper contained cube nets, a type of question I have not seen before on an Essex paper, so they may have some other different types up their sleeve.
Sorry I dont think this was the opinion you were hoping for.
Manana

Post by Manana »

I think the cube nets suggest there there will be NVR on the paper rather than there will be a wider range of VR.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes you are right cube nets are NVR, I used the wrong example. In the sample paper the VR is not multiple choice unlike the old 21 type, and there is an anagram question where the student had to create 5 words from the letters of the word given.
I personally think there is nothing to stop them putting a cloze style question in the reasoning section or any other type of verbal reasoning.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

What caught us out on the sample was the ones where the letters each had a number and it was working out the sum/product of each word. My son figured out how to do it, it was more the amount of time he took. What are this type of question called? I've not seen any like this in anything else we've used for practise.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Nikkibeak wrote:What caught us out on the sample was the ones where the letters each had a number and it was working out the sum/product of each word. My son figured out how to do it, it was more the amount of time he took. What are this type of question called? I've not seen any like this in anything else we've used for practise.
The 'Sum Total' (3=4=5= ) questions weren't soooo bad, but the product value ones (3 x 4 x 5 x = ), especially where you had to work out the product value of 4 words and then order them correctly for 1 mark were nasty! Has anyone seen any examples of these online to practise with?
Manana

Post by Manana »

pg19 wrote:Some of you are quite experienced on this forum. Your suggestions regarding the mark distribution will be vital.
There's a fab website out there-that I think I've been told off for in the past for mentioning, so I won't!-which breaks down the mark allocation and compares it to the pre 2011 and 2011-14 formats as there have been a few changes. The familiarisation paper suggests the following...
33% comprehension
30% vocabulary
3% literary devices
8% applied reasoning
25% continuous writing

Last year's paper had 40% of the paper made up of spelling/punctuation, but this has all been scrapped. I suppose they'll be looking for those in the continuous writing instead.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now