Is anyone going through this for the second/thirdtime and...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

Is anyone going through this for the second/thirdtime and...

Post by Manana »

feeling like they should be doing endless timed VR papers!? We have been through the VR IPS question types with DD and done short bits of VR, but have done nothing like the practice we did with DS-obviously as they've changed the format and VR doesn't have anywhere near such a chunk of the marks.

I really dont feel like we're spending enough time on the English instead, either! Actually, I really feel like I don't know what I'm doing!

I'm just working my way through the ever-ending batch of past CSSE maths and english papers and then throwing in some creative writing, too.

Help!
loopsngeorge

Re: Is anyone going through this for the second/thirdtime an

Post by loopsngeorge »

Well only the first time for us, but feel similar! Really we're just doing comprehension and maths as that seems to throw up enough problems as it is. Plus a bit of writing. Every so often I remember the VR, and we do a bit for "fun"!
Crusoe

Post by Crusoe »

Same here.

I would like to stop practising this VR as it's not anywhere near to the CEM familiarisation paper. But keep doing them like you MANANA. You rightly reflected my status by saying "Actually, I really feel like I don't know what I'm doing!".

Despite of everything we are doing English as it's going to help her in normal School Progress. Whatever I see, My mind says take that piece it'll be helpful for comprehension and Vocabulary, Vocabulary, Vocabulary, Vocabulary...

Going crazy. I am not satisfied with what we are doing currently...At times I want this to be over.

I was proud of my dd's skills, abilities and levels a year ago. Earlier learning was fun, now, everything changed and feeling like putting so much pressure and burden on her little heart and mind.

I am not even bothered to give her any past papers as I'm not sure what to anticipate in real exam.

We are sailing on the same boat...

Thanks,
Crusoe.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Doing VR is better than doing nothing as you know the antonyms, synonyms, homophones or nyms?? all help.

This is my second time and like you all, I felt like was floating from subject to subject, with no real structure, until I met a good friend who is in the same boat and has thrown me a lifeline somewhat.

Do a piece of writing everyday...it's possible to do the 10 minute creative writing part from the familiarisation paper. Practise using, loads of literary devices; similies, metaphors, personification and the like. Do instructional pieces as well as descriptive. Describe a market scene, the school playground, the High Street, make a cuppa tea, how to get to school, how to brush your teeth etc over and over again...v boring, I know but the better they get at it.

Do a math papers in time, every other day...if possible. Try doing the ones with 50 questions in it as they cover a multitude of sin. Correction must be done soon after whilst still fresh in their mind.

Do the different types of NVR, every other day...I think there are about 4 or 5?? correct me if I am wrong, haven't done this for a while though...

Do Eng Comprehension every other day to get familiar with the CSSE horrid passages. Analyse the passage with a fine tooth comb, going through the meanings of those BIG WORDS. Finding synonyms and antonyms for those big words.

Every little helps, no knowledge is lost but structure is needed.

Every child is different and my ds certainly has not seen as many papers as my dd (yr9 at CCH) did but I have hope now that we are actually doing a little something everyday.

Then come on this forum and see what others are doing for inspiration....there is plenty out here.

Optimisticmom
Billericay Mum

Post by Billericay Mum »

This is my forth and last time!
I am finding it really difficult to know what to do, we are trying to do something each day but finding it difficult to get into any kind of routine especially with it being so different to when the others did it.
Thanks optimisticmum for your suggestions, I am going to try and get more organised for the last few months.
We are fine with the maths but my ds really dislikes English especially writing. He can do it but wastes alot of time trying to avoid it!! He always seems to be hungry when I suggest sitting down and doing some writing.
Looking forward to it all being over.
Good luck to everyone else with dc sitting the 11+ in September 2014
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Billericaymom

Don't despair, just get to it!! We have less time left everyday. I remember when we had two years, now its just a mere 3 months....yikes!!!

I had to laugh when you said he is hungry when you suggest writing. My ds is the same when it comes to those horrid CSSE passages. He starts to yawn, itch his eyes, ask for food evrything but get on with it! but i don't give up! He takes far too long to read the passage because for the most part he does not understand every word or the colloquilisms, so I take him through it. He reads some paragraphs and I read some to show expression and how fast he should be reading. I encourage him to read it out loud which he hates but then I can listen to what he is reading and see how many words or lines he is missing. So we start over until i'm satisfied we comprehend the passage. This makes it so much easier when he comes to answer the questions.

Sometimes they can do it their way, which is to dive right into the questions without fully understanding the passage. This too can work for some kids but I strongly beleive that understanding the whole passage is better.

At the end of the day, they will sit the exam and do what they feel best on the day...we can only pray that their best is good enough.

So keep going ya'll time is a great thief right now....lol!

Optimisticmom
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Billericay Mum wrote:This is my forth and last time!
He can do it but wastes alot of time trying to avoid it!! He always seems to be hungry when I suggest sitting down and doing some writing.
Looking forward to it all being over.
Good luck to everyone else with dc sitting the 11+ in September 2014
Billericaymom
Sorry to prattle on but just wanted to say that one of the reasons they try to avoid the inevitable is because they do not have the know-how. Once they've been armed, they find it so much easier to advance forward.

Whip out the familiarisation creative writing sheet and practise writing the 6 sentences of description then do the instructional piece below this. You can do one yourself to show him how it can be done. Then do one under the time restraints (ten minutes), together. Compare notes. Add similie and loads of adjectives and adverbs for effect. When he gets confident you will see how fast and how eager he will be to want to impress you with his writing. As an incentive, try having something that he likes waiting for him as a reward.

To help, get a prompt sheet ready for him eg what does the animal look like, sound like, feel like, where does it live? how does it move? is it a reptile or a mammal, is it huge like an elephant or puny like an ant? does it have scaly dry scales for skin or moist like a frog's skin, or prickly like a porcupine? has it got hooves, horns or webbed feet etc

You have done so well to have done 3 already, so you are a pro at this game...lol!

Best wishes.

Optimisticmom
Billericay Mum

Post by Billericay Mum »

Thank you optimisticmom, The prompt list is a really good idea. I will give it a try this weekend :)
mumof2girls

Post by mumof2girls »

Hi, I did it with DD last year (both CEM and CSSE). Tutored her myself with a lot of panic and wondering if I was doing enough, but luckily she passed both with flying colours and is going to CCHS in September.

DD2 is doing it this year but I feel completely panicky and unorganised this time around, like we are not doing nearly enough and wondering what on earth to do as the formats have changed! Luckily they do a lot of creative writing at school and she is quite good at it, but struggling with maths and she seems to want me to sit beside her constantly, reading out the questions and coaxing her along! She is only going to be 10 in August so really young to be doing it!

Reading what you are all doing, I am completely panicking that we are not doing enough! We do each of the 4 topics once a week but it's very hit and miss. I console myself with the thought that these exams are not supposed to be based on heavy tutoring and her natural intelligence will either shine through or it won't and if it doesn't, then she wasn't meant to go!!

It's so hard doing it straight after DD1!!
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

[quote="mumof2girls"]Hi, I did it with DD last year (both CEM and CSSE). Tutored her myself with a lot of panic and wondering if I was doing enough, but luckily she passed both with flying colours and is going to CCHS in September.

Well done mumof2girls!

It is a great achievement to successfully tutor and it shows how bright your dd is.
I am yet to meet someone who feels they are doing enough but the good thing is that we are doing something which is better than nothing!

Keep doing whatever you are doing and try and focus on areas of weakness in her Math and anything else for that matter. You are right that they don't want heavily coached kids but we are only doing what preparatory schools are already doing; which is preparing them.

No matter what, kids do need some form of preparation to hone their skill and get them to be the best!

Every little helps, so keep on as the end is now in sight....yikes!!

Optimisticmom
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now