Beths - waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MissusMack

Beths - waiting list

Post by MissusMack »

I thought I would post again in the hope that one of you helpful parents could help. DC is on waiting list and besides the stress of waiting, the school wont be drawn on how far up the list they go in previous years. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on getting the data, because it feels like an big unknown; he's on the list but no way of knowing what my child's chances are at this stage.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help :idea:
kenyancowgirl

Re: Beths - waiting list

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I do sympathise, as I imagine it must be hard - I hope you have a solid alternative that you are able to embrace. I suspect the reasons the school are unwilling to be drawn are two-fold: a) they may not want to admit how many people have effectively turned them down (freeing up waiting list places) and b) actually, what happened in the past is irrelevant as, just because it got to "n" on the waiting list last year, or "o" the year before does not have a bearing on where it will get this year. I suspect they do not want to give you false hope or make you feel you have no chance when there could be one.

Can you focus on the alternative and then, if an offer comes from this school embrace that as an unexpected bonus?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi all,
What could also be helpful is if anyone knows when they offered the last space. Was it September?

I know that at the time MissusMack posted someone we know was No 14. He recently got a place. So, either the children in front did not use the space or there was that number of children going elsewhere.

I know that it may be irrelevant what happened last year, but it could help people make informed guesses.
MissusMack

Post by MissusMack »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I do sympathise, as I imagine it must be hard - I hope you have a solid alternative that you are able to embrace. I suspect the reasons the school are unwilling to be drawn are two-fold: a) they may not want to admit how many people have effectively turned them down (freeing up waiting list places) and b) actually, what happened in the past is irrelevant as, just because it got to "n" on the waiting list last year, or "o" the year before does not have a bearing on where it will get this year. I suspect they do not want to give you false hope or make you feel you have no chance when there could be one.

Can you focus on the alternative and then, if an offer comes from this school embrace that as an unexpected bonus?
If only human behaviour were so simple. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.
MissusMack

Post by MissusMack »

salsa wrote:Hi all,
What could also be helpful is if anyone knows when they offered the last space. Was it September?

I know that at the time MissusMack posted someone we know was No 14. He recently got a place. So, either the children in front did not use the space or there was that number of children going elsewhere.

I know that it may be irrelevant what happened last year, but it could help people make informed guesses.

Exactly! if i know that it's less or more likely I can manage my expectations. It's the not knowing or being able to make an educated guess that's hard.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Good luck and please let us know if your son gets in. It would help next year's parents!
MissusMack

Post by MissusMack »

:)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now