* Breaking News: RHS Admissions arrangement complaint upheld

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gideon

Post by gideon »

I read on another website that the Schools Adjudicator has just upheld the complaint against Rugby High School and all 5 King Edward Grammar Schools in Birmigham. The complaint was against the use of Pupil Premium as a priority.

Many parents felt it was unfair, but did not want to say so in public.

All schools appear incompetent as their funding arrangements did not allow priority to PP children. Some "clever cloggs" realised they messed up. All school subsequently applied to the Education Funding Agency to alter their funding arrangements and were approved. But, it was too late.

It seems this was won on a technicality and the actual issue was not adjudicated The schools may fight on and win the battle. Time will tell.

Its seems the issue will be decided with LSS as they had the provision in place (it is a VA school not academy - subject to different rules). There will be a decision shortly.
mike1880

Re: * Breaking News: RHS Admissions arrangement complaint up

Post by mike1880 »

It looks like a very hollow victory, the decision makes clear that the obstacle under para 1.9 has now been removed and if anyone seriously thinks para 1.8 offers any prospect of overturning the arrangements then they're living on a different planet from the rest of us.
gideon

Post by gideon »

A victory none the less. It shows the school has an incompetent Governing Body.

It is easy to support the PP discrimination when your child is not affected or your child already has a grammar school place.

Any one who believes in PP children scoring lower marks should be permitted to give up their child's grammar school place to one such a child and their own child attend a non-grammar state school. Any takers?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

gideon wrote:Any one who believes in PP children scoring lower marks should be permitted to give up their child's grammar school place to one such a child and their own child attend a non-grammar state school. Any takers?
I have no problem with that, and a child currently in yr 4 ...

JD
gideon

Post by gideon »

Then do it now. Ring up K.E.S. and give up your son's place. But I know you won't. It's easy to say one thing, but harder to do it. To give PP children a better chance, do not enter your younger child for the test when the time comes. The added advantage.. you won't ever see me at K.E.S.! Surely, that's worth it.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

If I could phone up and give DS's place to a PP child, then that's an interesting suggestion Gideon. However, I doubt very much that the first child on the current waiting list is PP so there would be no point, sadly.

However, if in 2 years time the admissions policy has changed in-line with the B'ham grammars and a PP child gets a place ahead of my child because my child hasn't met the advertised non-PP qualifying mark, then I would have absolutely no issue with that at all. The admissions criteria is clear.

JD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now