Any advice- sorry for the life story!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JOJO

Any advice- sorry for the life story!!

Post by JOJO »

Hi, I was just after some advice.

My sister is taking her 11+ just after xmas I believe. I took my 11+ about 10 years ago, and was lucky enough to pass, and i know the benefits of going to a grammer first hand. my brother however didnt pass and i also know how difficult going to a comp school is. For this reason i am kind of personally taking a responsibility to help her prepare for these exams, as it means a lot to my family to get a great education.

I have been researching different papers, what score she will need to pass etc, and have been left a bit confused by it all. She has applied to Folkestone School For Girls. How many people are generally turned down ie, how popular is the school, what sort of mark does she need to be sure of being accepted.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Any advice- sorry for the life story!!

Post by Guest »

JOJO wrote:Hi, I was just after some advice.

My sister is taking her 11+ just after xmas I believe. I took my 11+ about 10 years ago, and was lucky enough to pass, and i know the benefits of going to a grammer first hand. my brother however didnt pass and i also know how difficult going to a comp school is. For this reason i am kind of personally taking a responsibility to help her prepare for these exams, as it means a lot to my family to get a great education.

I have been researching different papers, what score she will need to pass etc, and have been left a bit confused by it all. She has applied to Folkestone School For Girls. How many people are generally turned down ie, how popular is the school, what sort of mark does she need to be sure of being accepted.

Also any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
And also can you tell me what subjects she will take, ie English, VR, NVR, science etc. x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I haven't heard of anyonr passing the Kent test and being refused a plce at Folkestone School For Girls.

Have you tried asking the school or looking at the prospectus. Did she go on the open evening? If not you could always ask for a visit.

I think last year that FSG had their own test but that that was stopped by County. It is a good school especially for A levels. According to the last Ofsted their intake is slightly lower in attainment than generally and they have good value added scores. This is probably because Kent has countywide grammar schools and so lots of places. Also being in Folkestone a 25mile radius includes lots of sea!

Which part of Shepway are you in? becausde Dover Girls also has a good reputation.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Thanks for the info.

She is in Folkestone so obviously its her local school. Basically her teachers have told Mum, that she expects her to be on the borderline pass mark as she is. So im wondering if that is enough to get her in? or does she need extra tution etc?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Jojo, if you register I can send you a private message
moved

Post by moved »

Jojo

The NFER Nelson multiple choice papers from WHSmiths/Waterstones, etc are very good. Verbal, non-verbal and maths. If she is borderline they will look at her composition, so work on that too, a story each week should help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now