Any Reported Errors on GCSE OCR Maths Unit C today?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Any Reported Errors on GCSE OCR Maths Unit C today?

Post by Snowdrops »

DD says question 18a (and subsequently 18b) (proving an angle was 106 degrees using cosine formula) may have contained an error.

After speaking to half a dozen friends they all experienced difficulty when putting final calculation into calculator it came out with 'Math Error'.

Anyone else reporting this? Can you ask you dc's if they experienced this too please.
Guest55

Re: Any Reported Errors on GCSE OCR Maths Unit C today?

Post by Guest55 »

Talk to a teacher as without seeing the question I can't comment.

Personally I think it more likely the calculation may have been entered into the calculator incorrectly. If the correct method has been shown then there will be some marks awarded.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest 55 is right - it is more likely to be operator error but unfortunately I can't comment as my school did AQA and Edexcel today, not OCR. Phone the exams officer pronto (today) and ask them to get the Head of Maths to cast their eyes over that question (the Head of Maths will not have been given the papers yet as they are kept secure for 24 hours, but may have been allowed to look at it already). If there is a problem, they can contact the exam board.

I would advise any student that thinks there is a problem in an exam like this to bring it to the invigilators attention - they will then contact the head of dept who is allowed to enter the exam room to look at the paper if they are notified that there may be a problem - this is the only reason they can come in - if a problem is id'd then, then the exam board are notified straight away and the issue is sorted.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

off topic - deleted
Last edited by Guest55 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yeah, I understand about operator error, but as she talked to half a dozen people and they all experienced the same, I just wondered (especially as they are in top set).

I suppose nothing's lost by speaking to school.

Thank you very much for the advice :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Have contacted them and am awaiting a response. Could be Monday now as it's so late and Head if Year is out of school.

At least it's flagged!

Thanks again peeps :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest55 wrote:I always go into the exam to look at the paper to check it looks reasonable.

We have had the wrong papers in the envelopes before now!
I hate to say it, but that is completely against the exam board rules, I'm afraid! The invigilator in charge of the room, in conjunction with the exams officer, are supposed to check the paper is the expected one, then the candidates is asked to do the same - the teacher is not allowed to have the paper until 24 hours afterwards and is certainly not allowed in the exam room to look (although in practice, once the exam is completed, they can look at it in the exams officers room and then lock it back in the safe.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

off topic - deleted
Last edited by Guest55 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes - to check the paper is the right tier, but not to look at it!! No-one is supposed to look at the paper, not even the invigilators, unless the candidates bring their attention to something on it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Papers can be released to staff as soon as everyone in the centre has sat the paper .. so at the end of the exam.

Off topic ... more appropriate to continue by pm.
Last edited by Guest55 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now